Locksmith Course?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

A friend of mine is leaving the Army and is interested on re-training as a locksmith. I said I would ask on here for him if anyone knows of any decent courses in the North East?

Also, is there much work out there for locksmiths?

Thanks

J.P

Sponsored Links
Too much competition, and not enough work unless you are big enough to secure contracts with councils/hospitals/banks etc. Tell your mate he's better off looking elsewhere.

Cheers HH, I had sort of hinted that to him anyway but thought I'd ask

Thanks for the reply

JP

i knew a locksmith, (he has moved away) he once said like most trades the thing about this job is you need experiance, not books or courses.

I personally would suggest that no matter what any "short course" is they all seem to be there to

A) keep the person taking the course employed

B) make money for the people who runs the course

Sponsored Links
firstly get your mate to establish how much resettlement funding the army will give him/her ussually in the thousands figure.

then get him to apply logic to the matter, lock smiths course come on think about it who gets a lock smith in these days when its cheaper to break entry via a window or for council tennents who can just kick the door in and claim to be burgled.

insurance companies tend to be the ones that pay for a locksmith under insurance terms of losing keys but hey who has the insurance details handy on a saturday night pish up.

get yer mucker to veiw all options on all courses the most important part is continuity of work.

locksmith sporadical work
gas engineer/construction trades mmm will become very slow

hgv low demand due to low spending drivers jobs are dropping of job centre boards no one is spending as much no drivers needed

home inspector will become a demand in current market as seller in desperation want to ofload asset into what wil be buyers market.....errr lets just say up and comming given economical situations

the big one ..bailiffs........ debts = repossesions cars houses business's and so on, get the picture............your mucker needs to evaluate what he wants before he claims hes resettlement grant once its spent it spent and there might not be any work for him after he has spent it.

another point will be any training provider he contact will say yeah busy enough work to go round they are in demand and so on..dont be fooled.

ive taken gas course last year social paid 2 grand guess what........i dont work in the gas industry im not corgi registered and didnt even complete a portfollio of twenty gas jobs........so im not allowed to undertake gas work finding someone to take me out to much hard work some git even wanted me to pay him 2k for him to take me out on twenty jobs another want a set price per job even if it wasnt a gas job i would still be required to pay him ie i pay him 50 sobs to change a washer in a tap and customer pays him to wow great way to change carears isnt it. eitherway didnt pay and wouldnt pay thus i dont consider finding the gas work anymore and even thrown the 19 portfollio jobs that i did manage to do away...god one job to short to qualify from that golden ticket..corgi registrations what a bummer hey and i aint kidding either.....so what ever your mate decides upon he needs to check what is involved throughout and what will be needed as per any associations that may need to be joined ect ect.

what your mate can do, is claim training doesnt have to work the industy but use it as back up plan get him to consider this one

MI5, this will see him through recession as the uk will be on security alert for many years to come and many targets are in britain, operatives are needed in this field and they even expanded a search into the nw, this gives continuity of paid work jsut a suggestion of course to help you see what should be taken into account.

jack - suggest he joins the cops. Always a need to 'strong-arm' the public especially with tough times ahead, excellent pay, free uniform (he'll be used to that), housing allowance (London ... do they still have Section Houses?), bike allowance (do they still pay that?), camaraderie (he'll be used to that), free public transport (London). Tell him to stay 'off the tools' and join the 'boys in blue'.

gcol - "... if he's a white male, he can almost forget it." I'm sure that's not a reflection of the true situation.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back