Fitting a new night latch - get a locksmith or a carpenter?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Guys,
We recently got a locksmith to change the nightlatch on our door. He fitted an ERA night latch, BS standard, charged about 110 for the latch and 90 for labour (so about 200 in all). I dont know what came over me, Im usually shrewd enough to check prices on the net for the latch, and do labour costs.
Anyway, it wasnt a very good job, and these guys are cowboys. They used this wood hardening stuff, which is apparenty the norm, but it was still soft 3 months later. I tried to complain, and found they werent members of master locksmiths.
After a while, the door became increasingly difficult to close - have to slam the thing - the bit that goes in and out had become less springy or something. I asked a "master locksmith" locksmith to take a look. He said that ERA locks arent very good. I asked him what he uses and he said a Yale No 1. I said it isnt BS - he said it wont matter, and that house insurance doesnt insist on nightlatch being BS. He also said that the job was quite poor, and the wood hardener stuff wasnt properly set. He did say when done properly, this wood hardening stuff is much stronger than wood!
So anyway, I bought the lock and asked him if he would fit it.
He said he would be very happy to, but he isn't a carpenter so he wont do any sanding or making good, etc.

Which basically beggars the question then - for a night latch fit, is it better to get a good carpenter? Thanks.

Sponsored Links
try silicone spray on the metal parts of the lock the snib and the plate,over time they dry out hence why you have to slam it.i spend a lot of time where i work doing this TO AN AWFUL LOT OF DOORS ETC, :( .
amazes me how much they can get away with,im sure you couldve found the correct night latch for a hell of a lot less.but charging 90 quid for about 1 hrs work id be :cry: .

Sponsored Links
Do you mean one of these? They cost less than £30.

Night-Latch-Front-Door-Lock-Brass-60mm_medium.jpg

Any decent handyman can fit a lock, sounds like you got a cowboy followed by a lazy locksmith.

Any decent handyman can fit a lock, sounds like you got a cowboy followed by a lazy locksmith.

Well, the locksmith is a good guy, had a look at the lock, said that ERA was crap - ( he might well be right, I found another blog talking about the very thing Im suffering from - the need to slam the door hard because the springy bit that goes in and out isnt angled sharp enough to give, and in fact the more you slam the worse it gets). So I dont know if it is locksmiths job to make good the wood rendering.

but as said before, perhaps a very very good chippy is needed.

A very average chippy can easily fit that. A DIY'er can as well, one of the easier types of latches / locks to fit!

If you have to slam the door the lock is damaged, probably from incorrect fitting.

Try spraying the lock and it's keeper with some furniture polish before you go any further, also have a look at the strike button and mark where it touches the strike plate/keeper to find out if they are aligned properly. Could be the latch just needs a tap with a hammer, up or down, to make it work. By the way you can by standard Yale night latches for less than a tenner from Screwfix...pinenot :)

Lock and price aside I can't for the life of me see what the "wood hardener" was for :confused: Are you saying the door or frame was decayed before the lock was fitted in which case it would probably have been better to replace along with the new lock :confused:

Lock and price aside I can't for the life of me see what the "wood hardener" was for :confused: Are you saying the door or frame was decayed before the lock was fitted in which case it would probably have been better to replace along with the new lock :confused:
presumably the replacement plates were smaller than the old ones and thus left old notches visible, which needed filling in? Or perhaps the new latch had the cylinder hole in a different position?

Yes that had occurred to me although that's filler rather than wood hardener and I would have thought the "master locksmith" would have known the difference :confused: or maybe I'm just looking at it wrong .

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back