Loft Advice

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I would like to board out my loft; the house is victorian era, has joists spaced at 1450mm apart - looking at Wickes & B&Q they only supply boards which can be used with joist spacing of 600mm. What are my options please?

Sponsored Links
You can get 22mm chipboard flooring exactly like loft boards but longer. They are still the same width as loft boards so you should be able to get them through the loft hatch. 2.6metres long if I recall correctly. Just lay them opposite direction to joists and offset the next board. It depends on the size of your loft but id cut say for examples sake 5 boards in half and the other 5 leave full length work with that then repeat.

You could also add some type of noggins inbetween the 1450mm span prior to laying the boards. studwork timber should be fine for this.

Are you sure the 1450mm apart things are not extra supports ontop of the joists? Maybe the actual joists are covered by insulation.

Sponsored Links
It does seem a bit of a wide span doesnt it for joists. If you got the headroom you could cross hatch a new floor on top of the old floor also.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back