loft boarded over - do I need a suspended floor?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I live in a 1920/30 house. We bought it last year and have done up two of the bedrooms. We've had them both re-plastered (one with plasterboard due to the condition of the ceiling).

We want more storage space and are getting quotes to have our loft boarded over. One quote is nearly double the others as they recommend a suspended floor so that the ceiling has no weight on it at all. The other companies all reinforce the joists and raise them over the insulation and board on top of that.

My question is: Is it necessary to have the suspended floor when the loft will only be used for storing christmas decs, old clothes, my son's car seat etc?

I don't want to skimp on cost now and then be constantly paying for new plaster (or having to redo the recent plaster work we've had done) but I also don't want to pay for work that is unnecessary. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

thanks

Sponsored Links
I don't understand too much. He said that it was a hipped roof so it would just be a section of about 12 square meters. Towards next doors semi. I'm sorry if this is a question that cannot be answered without further info.

Sponsored Links
No much use, really require the width and depth of existing joist and distances they span.

It is common to lay timbers perpendicular to existing ones, to allow for increased insulation and also for boarding.

They do not always require to have additional structurally support, other than the existing joists.
But there are occasion especially in older properties, where it is advised to strengthen the joist structure when doing this, as you are adding weight in timber, loft-boards, as well as items you store.

So important to get this right and without have the information needed, would be difficult to say what is best, both structurally and financially for you.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back