loft circuit

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
i need to add a few sockets to my loft ring and have just discovered it's actually a one socket radial - direct from CU (2.5 mm cable to a 15A fuse)

need to use a 3Kw heater in this room (no central heating) as well as usual tv/hi fi/desk lamps . If I add 3 new sockets (using 2.5mm cable) will a 20A fuse be sufficent?

or is it better to turn into ring (if so do I need to give notification under part P - as i suppose it's technically a new ring and not just an addition to an existing ring)

Sponsored Links
You can add more sockets to the radial as long as you do not exceed the current carrying capacity of the cable, which it sounds as though you will not, but if you leave the 15A fuse in then that is unlikely to happen. I do not think it would be part p notifiable but will stand corrected if need be.

Hi rorkers...

What you really need to do is calculate how much current the original items in the loft are using at the moment and then see if adding the 3000w heater is going to take the circuit above its limits.
When you think a 3000w heater will pull approx 13amps alone it doesn't leave you with too much to play with.
If you did turn the radial into a ring,then yes, you would need to imform local building control.
Saying that im on the understanding even if you was to change the original 15amp fuse to a 20amp one you still need to inform building control as its not an identiacal replacement.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back