Loft condensation - but why?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
(I've read the excellent Sticky but could still use some help).

Just went in the loft to return the Xmas decorations and found condensation dripping off the felt and some damp timbers (no sign of mould). This is a first in the 12+ years we've lived here.

The only thing that changed this year was that I topped up the insulation to 300mm (DIY) a few months back when the offers were on. I didn't allow the new insulation to go closer than a foot from the walls, a metre from the eaves and 100mm from the felt - so I thought I'd maintained the ventilation. As there was a load of stuff in the loft that we need to keep I made a couple of platforms up that we could store everything neatly on without it sinking into the insulation. There is also a ducted bathroom extractor fan and a bathroom downlighter (been there 8+ years).

[After a month I found water collecting in the extractor fan ducting from the bathroom which I assumed was because the roof was that much colder the damp air was condensing in the ducting. I covered the ducting up to the fan with some spare insulation and made sure the ducting after the fan was sloped towards the exit at the eaves so any water would drain. I figured this would be my only lesson learnt.]

[The house also suffers from condensation - probably from drying clothes but we've no room for a tumble drier. We've recently bought a de-humidifier which seems to be working well].

Having read the sticky I have;

1/. Checked the ventilation at the eaves and pulled the original insulation back a little to improve the air flow - in some cases it appeared to be right up to the roofing felt.
2/. Moved a load of boxes that were nearly up to the felt in places.
3/. Taped up the connections between ducting and extraction fan in case steam was escaping.
4/. I'll look for a terracota pot and seal off the downlighter.

So my questions???

Why has it started now - if the new loft insulation is doing it's job (and the loft is certainly a lot colder now) shouldn't the temperature difference between outside and in be less and so the chances of condensation be less?

If the cure is better ventilation and I've addressed that is there anything else I need to do in order to dry the loft out?

Sponsored Links
I recon most people only go in their lofts 4 times a year. In the summer to get the suitcases down and to put them away and Christmas time to get the decorations out and put them away again. This Christmas has been particularly cold so maybe the outside temperature has something to do with your dilemma and that you have always had a problem with ventilation.

I bought a 2m length of 2x1 inch trunking and cut it into 9 inch lengths. Where the felt overlapped I edged it in and opened up some nice gaps. It seems to have fixed my minor problems.

Do you actually have any ventilation from the soffit?, I had no ventilation in the soffit after having UPVC installed a few years back so I have had to make ventilation holes in that.

The other thing I have learnt late in life is to make sure the bathroom window is opened and the door kept shut when finished in the shower. This has instantly fixed my wet window problem despite us drying clothes in the house.

as stated, this winter has so far, been particularly cold. prolonged too and
as a result, there have been an upsurge in condensation queries this winter.

Ltnman - Thanks. The (wooden) soffits have quite narrow looking openings, say about 10mm wide by 300mm long, then a 100mm gap and another opening and so on. I could easily believe that this isn't enough.

Anyone -

Do I just sit back and wait for the roof to dry out? If I improve the ventilation how long until I see it's worked??

This little saga also has me worrying about electrics - what stops heat escaping the bathroom through the pull switches and condensation then forming in the electrics? Should the switches be boxed in with plasterboard?

Sponsored Links
"Anyone -

Do I just sit back and wait for the roof to dry out? If I improve the ventilation how long until I see it's worked??"

Had the same quandry a year or so back
Decided to bite the bulet and got a local odd-jobber to belt through each end of the gables and put a vent in each end wall
Then covered them with insect netting to stop the nastys gettiing in.

Dramatic impvement. Even in this ultra-cold spell we have had some condensation behind the felt but only a small fraction of what we had previuosly

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back