Loft conversation

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Been slowly working my way through my house, knocking down walls, moving doorways etc and it’s now time for a loft conversion to give my eldest his own bedroom.

Got all the plans drawn up and their currently in for approval along with a side extension (that’s a whole other project)

Was looking at the draft plans the other day and had two thoughts

My RSJ’s will be directly beneath the purlin, so not sure how best to attach the king pins. The current draft plans aren’t that clear, hopefully when the full plans come in it’ll be much clearer.
I was going to bolt the kings sandwiched with a dog tooth washer, but this appears not to be an option any longer. Tried looking for photos online but can only find one.

2) Then I was considering how to remove the ceiling binders, as they are exactly where the RSJ’s need to go. Could I just cut them out for the two days whilst the padstones go off, then once the steels in and tie the ceiling back in to the Steels. Can’t see that I’d need to support the ceiling with a crow props, as the binders are just to stop twisting and in 70yrs they’ve not twisted yet, so sure two days will be fine?

Read more: https://www.diynot.com/diy/threads/loft-conversion.515759/#ixzz5wNBNCxus

Sponsored Links
If plans have been submitted for bldg. regs approval hasn't a structural engineer been involved on structural calculations for the steelwork :?:
The SE is the person to advise on your queries regarding the structural members .

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back