Loft conversion advise

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I am trying to save some money by doing my own loft conversion. Being lucky enough to have a large open loft with no struts to contend with it should be an easier job as no structural work should be required other than the floor and needing an electrician. I have decided to start my building approval plan for a loft conversion and have some questions regarding reinforcing the floor. I need my joists to run width ways due to the position of the stairs so I will need to run steel or timber beams down the length of the property approx 18 feet. How big will these need to be? I have read that a 3"x9" wooden beam would suffice providing its fire treated. Is this correct?

ManyThanks
Tim

Sponsored Links
You will need
structural engineer's calculations for the structural alterations as part of the
Building Regulations application for the loft conversion so the SE will specify the joist sizes and support beams etc.

I have read that a 3"x9" wooden beam would suffice providing its fire treated. Is this correct?
No it isn't; a 3" x 9" timber would be nowhere-near suitable. On that length you would need a steel beam - the SE will advise.

I have read that a 3"x9" wooden beam would suffice
Don't read any more from wherever you read that.

BTW, the position of any stairs does not need to determine the direction of any joists

Sponsored Links
:cautious:
Bear in mind there are more things than just structural matters to consider for bldg. regs approval if you are converting the loft in to a habitable room.

:cautious:
Bear in mind there are more things than just structural matters to consider for bldg. regs approval if you are converting the loft in to a habitable room.

+1

I originally was going to try something similar, after researching and realising the many different building regs it pretty much killed the plan before it even started. The hardest one for me to get around was achieving the correct height above the staircase that was to be used for access.

I don't like them and I don't know if it would be suitable for your situation, but you might be interested to look at Approved Document K which allows an alternating tread stair , only in a loft conversion for access to one habitable room - paragraphs 1.29 to 1.30 diagram 1.10.
You can view Bldg regs approved documents -just search under LABC.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back