loft conversion and PW act

M

marsaday

What if i dont serve a party wall agreement to my neighbours while i am converting my loft. i am hanging half the floor area off the party wall you see.

my neighbour is happy for me to do the work without the act.

am i letting myself in for any problems?

the weight loading on the wall is 4kN/m unfactored

Sponsored Links
The difference is that if (if?) something goes wrong and the works cause cracks or other damage to your neighbours property you will not be able to claim the protection of the act. That means that your neighbour would be able to claim all nature of damages such as doctors bills for stress, (brought on by unbearable living conditions) loss of earnings (brought on by stress caused by unbearable living conditons) overnight stays in 5 star hotels, (necessary due to unbearable living conditions) etc, etc.

If you do follow the act your neighbour would be entitled to repairs of a few cracks and a coat of paint.

It is also commonly put it about that you will never be able to sell your house. But I've never come across that situation and I have dealt with hundreds of party wall awards (and I don't really pursue party wall business due to it being a right pain in the arse) and hundreds of house surveys.

Not that I would advise you as such but in reality the PWA is mostly uneccesary claptrap for the majority of domestic works. You didn't get that from me though.

Goes without saying though (to anybody looking for general advice that is) it is NOT worth taking a risk with dodgy structures. Get the stuctural stuff right.

thanks for that. i am simply adding a new floor to the house, so no major structural change there - big job, but no major structural change.

thanks for that. i am simply adding a new floor to the house, so no major structural change there - big job, but no major structural change.

That's odd I understood that a floor is a structural element.

Sponsored Links
What compared to excavating the basement and so affecting the party wall?

Anyway party wall agreement has been signed and all is ok.

Excavating for a basement/supporting a new floor off a party wall... doesn't matter what works are being carried out, they'll both have structural implications.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back