Loft conversion boiler question

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, have got a question about shower pressure/flow in a loft conversion and would really appreciate some advice.

We have a small first floor converted flat and are doing a loft conversion with the bathroom moving up into the 2nd floor to make our kitchen viable (currently 6ft square). We have a 25kW combi boiler fed by the mains which delivers hot water to our existing shower at a flow rate that i've measured at 8 litres/minute.

Being just the two of us in the flat, and there only being one other small flat downstairs fed by the mains, we're ok with the loss of flow caused by other taps being switched on, and just avoid running water in the kitchen when having a shower. But my understanding is that by moving the bathroom up a floor, the flow rate to the shower will be less than it currently is because you lose pressure with height, at which point the effect of another tap being switched on by our downstairs neighbour might become more of an issue.

Firstly, is it possible to calculate what the reduction in flow rate is likely to be, based on the height increase? And what would our options be if it does turn out to be an issue? I understand we can't add a pump to a supply coming from a mains fed combi or system boiler. I've seen storage combi boilers discussed, with 25 or 50 litres of heated water - does this stored water get pumped out or does the pressure still come from the mains?

Sponsored Links
You can have a pump but you would need a breaker tank and room to be able to store this set up. For that same reason I had to do this for a customer. works very well but he had the room foe such a set up.

You can have a pump without a break tank. I think Salamander make one, probably others. Up to 12l/minute, more than that you ned permission from the water board. Also ask the local board if there's anything they can do.

You can have a pump without a break tank. I think Salamander make one, probably others. Up to 12l/minute, more than that you ned permission from the water board. Also ask the local board if there's anything they can do.

Then that would steal from the flat below

Sponsored Links
Raising the supply isn't about flow but about pressure. You may not have the best flow but the pressure is fine and raising the outlet height won't have much of an effect.

You need to test the pressure - pressure will drop by 0.1bar every 1m it rises.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back