Loft Conversion & Building Regs

Reaction score
Country
Ireland
I am in the middle of purchasing a property and through the solicitor via searches we have found out that the vendor has not Building Control approval for loft conversion done over 35 yrs ago.

BC Officer has been out for obtaining a Regularisation Certificate but some work has to been carried out to get this. Joists need checked for weight as original were ceiling joists. Walls need correct material with fire regs, flooring needs checked as well, thermal envelope & insulation may need work but most off all the stairs do not comply.

Its a straight staircase with threads no risers as clear space, but I think the main issue is its pitched at 45 degrees and should be 42 degrees. Can this be fixed with a new staircase? Approx how much would it cost?

I have spoken with BC Manager and he said if I was to removed the stairs and put hatch back as a void roof space all will be good but if I was to try and do a roof space conversion at a later date I would be under current Building Regs as opposed to one back 35 yrs ago!!

Any ideas with this? Is it advisable to go ahead and purchase or let it go? Any advice would be much appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Unless it's actually dangerous, it's 34 years too late for any enforcement action. It doesn't need regularisation. If you want the house I would buy it, and maybe improve the insulation at a later date if you felt it necessary. No need to touch the stairs.

I had seen that somewhere before but BC now say that it needs to be regularised, is it different in NI than GB?

Sponsored Links
Suggest to your solicitor that you get the vendor to take out indemnity insurance against anything at all going wrong with the loft etc. to cover all work required to make it good and pass future inspection, should that be a requirement now or any time in the future.

not really understanding the indemnity insurance at all? what does this involve and what does it cover? if there is now BC approval why have this insurance?

Indemnity insurance is often taken out against the possibility of a local authority taking planning or building control enforcement action, in respect of unauthorised works.

(a) You can only take it out if the council is unaware of the works
(b) It won't cover the costs of putting the work "right"
(c) It's pointless if the work is outside any enforcement period
(d) I've no idea of the situation in Northern Ireland, where building regulations are different from Great Britain

At end of day they will have to work with people to get work done after all no time limit when building a new house I believe!!

Maybe just knock 20k off the price, say they can't sell a at market value is the loft is iffy, then Iif you get it, enjoy a nice holiday

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back