Loft Conversion & Building Regs

You can't get an indemnity once the local authority is aware and as mentioned it would be completely and utterly redundant in this situation even if the LA were not aware. Just makes a few quid for the stupid (or incompetent or immoral or a combination of all three) solicitor.

Sponsored Links
yeah I agree should be priced not to include loft conversion, so we are going to ask for a revised offer see what the answer is??

Sponsored Links
Good luck! A house near me had this issue, it sold for £50k less than the original asking price.

In my case the difference between having and not having a regularisation certificate for my loft conversion was (if my memory serves) 30 or 40k on the value of the house - this was determined by the buyers mortgage valuer (who’s obviously paid to protect the banks’ money) unless you are a cash buyer in which case it’s up to you what you pay.

Maybe it’s different (and I got the impression that my BC guy was making it up as he went along, eg for the electrics he said just get a PIR) but I was required to insulate to current standards - I would have thought this would involve pretty much gutting a 35 year old conversion.

How much approx would supply and fit of a straight staircase cost to comply with regs, nothing fancy just straightforward??

We still haven't determined whether there is a time limit for enforcement in Scotland. If it's the same as England and Wales, this is well outside the one year limit, and they can't make you do anything. Does anyone know the answer to that?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back