Loft conversion drainage

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi folks,

I’ve hunted for information on this but couldn’t find the answer, I be very grateful if you could assist.

I’m hoping to construct a loft conversion with internal arrangement similar to the attached, with the bathroom on the front side of the house. I’ve found a couple of plans with this arrangement in searching the web so my guess is that this layout is possible, but my concern is the waste drainage from the bathroom. Is there a way to avoid a macerator but still abide by BC rules given the waste run length (I assume the waste route will look something like that in red? Existing soil pipe at arrow head).

From reading around, I understand the waste nearly always runs above the floor construction to avoid large cuts in joists, which implies you can’t pass any doorways, giving a run longer than 6m. I understand BC wouldn’t be impressed with this.

So my Qs are:
1) is this red route correct or am I’m missing something (ie is popping a new soil pipe out the front of the house a possibility without being too unattractive)
2) is there any other way to have the bathroom location maintained whilst avoiding a macerator? Or is this wishful thinking, and I should just stick the bathroom nearer the existing soil and suck up the slightly less efficient internal arrangement.

Thanks so much for help,

J

Attachments

• 6FD4540C-7437-459F-BB78-CB9D137BC4A6.jpeg
    6FD4540C-7437-459F-BB78-CB9D137BC4A6.jpeg
    115.9 KB · Views: 128
Sponsored Links
You can run it under the ceilings of the rooms below. Doesn't look too bad if carefully boxed in.

Thanks for reply. That’s given me another approach I hadn’t thought of, so now I know this arrangement is possible.
Could I avoid the pipe work on the ceiling below with something like the attached? The blue section leaves the door free, the green run from the shower along the wall prevents cutting through joists.
The red section in the “lower floor height” could be above floor or under ceiling below. Or would I struggle to put the pipe through the wall to the room marked “lower floor height” in any case? This room is about 36cm lower.

Also my understanding is according to Part H, I can run >6m if I add an AAV in the bathroom above the sink height. Anyone have experience of this, any probs with an AAV in the same room rather than popping out the roof to external air?

Thanks again, help/ideas much appreciated.

Attachments

• 26C5D638-5160-4B69-8F58-574840F6A6A8.jpeg
    26C5D638-5160-4B69-8F58-574840F6A6A8.jpeg
    129.4 KB · Views: 77
Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back