loft conversion - flashing and lead or felt?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am planing to do my own loft conversion - is zink or lead flashing and valleys compulsory or can I use bitchumen backed tape? Is so what is it's expected life? Should I also us lead for the flat dorma roof or felt? Is lead very much more expensive?

Sponsored Links
If you are working from a Building Control passed drawing then it should specify what you must use.If not then I would still choose to use Lead especially in the valleys. The bitumen backed stuff -Flashband - is very prone to movement with weather changes and would probably only give you a few years cover.On the Dorma roof you would spend a small fortune using Lead so would be much better to use one of the range of Polyester Roofing Felts that are available nowadays. They are likely to last anything up to 25 years if laid correctly.

I don’t know why but I’ve bumped this thread cause I’m killing time waiting for my food to cook. This was the very first roofing and guttering thread on DIYnot and will be 16 years old on Saturday.

The weird bit is the dude asked a question on the 28th July 2002 then after no replies he answered his own question on the 10th September.

And then his join date was 12 years later

The plot thickens!

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back