Loft conversion for storage/small office space

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

The way our roof is constructed, means the 2 x4 ceiling joists dont sit on the wall plate, but part way up the rafters, traditional roof consisting of a single purlin to each slope & 2 x 4 rafters & ceiling joists.. My wife wants to start a small business online and needs storage space for heavy boxes.

The problem is, there is only 2.1m head height at apex from ceiling joists. Is it still possible to convert this into the above, following buildings regs etc with a staircase, velux, steels, new floot Etc etc. I reiterate this isnt going to be a bedroom, for aslong as we live here anyway.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
As I understand it , once you introduce a staircase instead of a loft ladder it becomes a loft conversion which you don’t have the height for .

The instant you put a staircase or fixed ladder in, it becomes an additional storey. Regardless of how you wish to use the space, the full gamut of Building Regulations then comes down on top of you, specifically regs concerning structure, fire safety, thermal insulation, ventilation, daylighting, sound insulation, staircase safety.......
Additionally, you have a raised-tie roof, which do not lend themselves easily to loft coversions.
Probably the best you could do is to board it over and use it for storage, with a pull-down ladder.
If you attempt to convert it without complying with the regs, it would invalidate your insurance.

Sponsored Links
Ok, thanks for the info. Shame there is no way to do it to regs still without creating more head height.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back