Loft conversion parapet wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, it is probably a common issue but I don't seem to find too many posts on this.

I live in a mid terraced Victorian house. I'm planning to build a dormer extension similar to our neighbours to both sides. Both neighbours have tiled dormers built right up to the parapet wall. Is it practical for us to build right up to parapet wall as well?

Sponsored Links
Not if you want to make sure your neighbours will be able to maintain their dormer cheek.

Though it is a reasonable standing (in my opinion) that you build your dormer up to the boundary and as long as you build it with something that needs no maintenance (ie masonry outer skin) then you will be OK. Why should you compromise your loft conversion just because they did theirs first?

Or you could investigate joining on to their dormer though no doubt they will expect you to pay entirely for the privilege and some form of written agreement or change to your deeds would (ought) to be in order.

Or you could take a bullet and build your dormer far enough away as to allow a maintenance gap.

Do you like your neighbours?

Thanks for response.

I think leaving a maintenance gap could be tricky. Our dormer would have to be reduced on both sides and also not sure if we would have enough space for staircase.

Would not want to incure additional cost of joining on to their dormers and potential responsibility for any leaks on their sides in the future.

Any other ideas please?

Though it is a reasonable standing (in my opinion) that you build your dormer up to the boundary and as long as you build it with something that needs no maintenance (ie masonry outer skin) then you will be OK. Why should you compromise your loft conversion just because they did theirs first?

Sponsored Links
My two bits on this is that any building up to a parapet wall will bring future difficulties, so FWIW:

1. there is no access (as above noted) for maintenance to your or their dormer cheeks. At the moment i think that the legal deal is that the neighbours have reasonable grounds to enter on your property to repair their's.
2. how will your dormer cheek be flashed.
3. how will maintenance to the parapet wall itself take place.
4. parapet walls are party walls with all the possible attendant PWA drama.

5. are any shared chimney stacks present?

By & large i should stay away from the party wall not because the neighbour's have built up to it first but because of the potential difficulties, obvious & unknown.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back