Loft conversion Permited Development? Roof previously raised

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I am just posting a few questions and wonder if anyone can post some advice.

We currently have a bought a site with a bungalow on it. Our final aim is to end up with a 3 storey house.

I am toying with different ideas but, we may raise the roof on our bungalow.

The end development will be much larger than the existing bungalow.

I dont want to push the planners too much, so i was considering putting planning in for a 2 storey conversion and then covert the 2nd storey roof under permitted development. to give us our 3 storey house.

Does anyone know if permitted developmet for this would be possible as the roof would have already been converted from its original roof as it stood in 1948?

The planning portal for loft conversions states: 'Bear in mind that any previous roof space additions must be included within the volume allowances listed above. Although you may not have created additional space a previous owner may have done so'

Thanks for your help.

Sponsored Links
There's a strong possibility that the planning permission, if gained, would remove any future PD rights by condition - so any future development which requires PP may not be possible under PD. (I know that sounds complicated but it does make sense. PD is just one way of granting PP - not all development requires PP) Would the future loft conversion need a dormer or would it be rooflights?

Jeds

The future loft conversion can get away with rooflights only, although dormers would be preferable.

Do rooflights require any planning?

Thanks for your help on all these questions. We are looking into a knock down and rebuild or the 'raising the roof' route, so we just want to know what planning restrictions etc there are with each option.

Converting a loft to habitable space is not development so would not need planning permission. But inserting a rooflight or dormer is development so would do. If you got planning permission to add a second storey it's likely the planning dept would add a condition to restrict future permitted development. But they would most likely restrict classes A and B which would mean you wouldn't be able to build a dormer but you could insert roof windows under class C. Of course they might restrict everything in which case you would need to make a planning app for the roof windows but you'd probablky have a fair chance of getting that approved.

Sponsored Links
Why not see if you can get permission for a house with a room in a roof. Daft to not go that route if it can be achieved at the beginning. If the site can take the type of house you'll end up with that is.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back