Loft conversion purling question

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We are "converting" our loft (ie boarded out space with window and staircase) (posh storage in other words :D )
It was built in approx 1940-1950 and has what i believe to be purlins running the length of the space at either side. These will be staying in, but we have a piece of wood that spans the loft, going from one purlin to the other, not touching the floor anywhere, and effectively cutting the room in half. I have no idea what it does, it wobbles a bit, so it doesn't appear to be doing much, and will need to be removed if we are to make the most of the space. Should we support the purlings with anything? Not really sure what this piece of wood does, but its about 8" by 2" so its a big bit of wood. Just wondering what it is, is it necessary and can I take it out without collapsing the roof!!!
Thanks

Sponsored Links
It sounds like a purlin collar or tie beam and is there to help counter roof spread.

It can be removed provided you take up the load elsewhere.

The roof won't collapse, but may be slightly more vulnerable.

It sounds like a purlin collar or tie beam and is there to help counter roof spread.

It can be removed provided you take up the load elsewhere.

The roof won't collapse, but may be slightly more vulnerable.

How would i take up the load elsewhere?

How would i take up the load elsewhere?

High level collars across all the rafter pairs, perhaps?

Or, supports under the existing purlin.

It is difficult to asses as i am not an s.e and i can not see your roof for myself. :confused:

Sponsored Links
Sounds like a tie beam for the purlins as Noseall says.. thus removal of it would be a structural change and you should seek some professional help

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back