Loft insulation options???

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All

I had a bit of a search, but didn't find what i'm after.

I'm currently making my loft a bit more usable, not converting as i'd never meet building regs for the stair access as our house configuration plays against us.

We're an end of terraced house, so one brick chimney breasted wall, and 3 sloping roof sides - hip roof is it - in the attic? The apex is about 2.5m high coming out from the brick wall about 2m, running down to the purlins at about 1.2m high giving about 2m horizontal distance behind purlins to where the floor joins the roof. Its about 4m from brick to hip purlin, and 4.5m from purlin to purlin front to back.

The purlins are vertically supported so the central area is clear.

So, i've pulled all the old insulation cos it was minging and given it a full clean as the slate dust was so thick. Re-layed new insulation every where. In the eves behind the purlin supports I have doubled to 200mm and boarded over top for storage. The central area is still 100mm under the boards.

We're getting to the point, slowly. LOL

As you can imagine, it is still going to be a cold loft, currently. My plan is to keep the eves as cold storage, but put 100mm jablight, or similar in between the vertical purling supports, then create a 50mm air gap in the roof rafters and sink 50mm in between, then another 50mm across the top, then plaster board the lot.

Now I understand it is not to building regs, but that is not a concern as it is much better than it was.

My question is, is there a better way? I don't want to loose too much head room, and have seen thin foil materials. Are these any good? They are certainly much cheaper.
Also, I've seen a concertina type stuff that looks really easy to fit.

I'm just looking for the best thermal resistance for my money. I may also put some oil filled rads up there just to prolong the use into the colder months a bit as we are working from home a bit more.

Any suggestions would be most welcome.
Sorry for the long post, but detail helps.
Thanks

Sponsored Links
Hi,
I am looking to do the same thing.
I suffer a lack of ventilation in my roof space, so soffit, slate vents and a dry ridge are on my to-do list to enable adequate ventilation above the insulation boards.
Your ideas seem sensible as long as you have the through airflow over the top. It would also be useful to have ventilation from the storage room to the outside, i.e. an opening velux.
I don't know if you have seen the 'Build it with Rob' YouTube channel,
There are plenty of good examples of storage room builds.
I hope that gives you some ideas!

Thanks. Will take a look.
Plenty of ventilation in ours and facing the right way for flow over the top through 50 mm rafter gap.
Two big velux top hinge windows already up there, on front one back, so good breeze through in summer, and not restricting head room when open.
Thanks

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back