Loft conversion specifications

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I am in the process of carrying out a loft conversion of a single story semi-detached property in Scotland. The architect has specified that all existing ceilings on the ground floor be doubled sheeted. A bit of digging has shown that this is due to a change in regs and is to do with acoustics. My query is if I can do anything from above rather than the mess of sheeting and plastering/taping every ceiling below?? Acoustic insulation for example?? The existing ceiling is plasterboard with plaster skim.

Sponsored Links
Would think this was due to fire regs so ceilings have a certain resistance to fire?

I too would have said it was for fire reasons- the regs wi regard to 3 storey buildings are far more onerous than two storey. Perhaps ask your architect for suggestions?

If it is for fire, your building inspector may accept a whole house fire alarm as adequately satisfying regs though whether installing is is more ball ache than double boarding the ceilings, only your builder will know

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back