Loft conversion

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi everyone i'm new on here,
I am currently converting my loft into a new bedroom and en-suite and i'm looking for some advice with regards to getting the conversion passed to building regulations. I have been told that you can get parts cleared by independent inspectors, is this the case?? I am having problems with fire regulations and the escape route from the loft space.
I live in a early 1900's property in Dorset if that is any help to anyone.
Any advice and help would be greatly appreciated

Sponsored Links
Try and be more specific with your question(s). There are private inspectors. Fire regs for loft conversions are pretty straight forward tbh, what exactly are you asking?

My issue is with the escape route from the attic to the front door of my property, I have a dinning room that is open to the stairs and have been told I need to either close this off with a partition or put a sprinkler system into that area. What bothers me is that if I was not doing the conversion the issue would still be there but wouldn't be a problem

The reason is that in the event of a fire you could easily escape from a first floor window or be rescued from one and even if you jumped onto concrete you'll end up with maybe a broken pelvis or whatever, jumping out of a loft level window is likely to be a hell of a lot more risky as well as being more difficult to aid rescue. Therefore you need that escape route. Should a fire start in the dinning room the whole stairwell is gonna be flooded with smoke. The Regs are pretty straightforward. You won't get around it, fire is one section of the regs BC don't tend to negotiate much on.

You're pretty lucky BC will accept sprinklers tbh, some do not.

A private inspector will be the same.

Sponsored Links
To get from the loft level to a first floor window you're gonna have to enter your first floor hallway which will be full of smoke.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back