Home refurb - possible loft conversion?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I have just purchased a 1950's semi with planning agreed for a two story side extension.

I'm due to start the work in spring time and I'm trying to get prepared.

I have notice there is a huge loft up there that is not being changed in the extension, so I'm considering converting it while the building work is going on. There is no need for dormas, just roof lights.

I'm lucky enough to not be living there while this is going on so it seems the right time to do it.

My question is;

shall I get the original architect to re-draw the plans to include the loft conversion (large bedroom and en-suite) probably at extra cost.

or

just build the extension, see what space I'm left with when they knock through and go from there?

Thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
Getting the plans altered at this stage would be wise as the cost of the stairs alone can be expensive.

Getting the plans altered at this stage would be wise as the cost of the stairs alone can be expensive.

Thanks catlad, the more I think about it, i think your spot on, the loft area will have to be strengthened so the extended part will also have to have sufficient strength.

Is building a steel frame the only way to strengthen the loft or can it be done by doubling the joists?

Sponsored Links
It will almost certainly involve steelwork, as for doubling joists up they would have to be substantial for a start and ceiling joists don't tend to be that.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back