Article 4 restrictions on Loft Conversion - London Borough of Croydon

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there - I am currently looking at converting the loft on my terraced house in Croydon. I have found the council and their website to be unclear in a lot of regards and was wondering if anyone knew the answers to the questions below:

- Does the article 4 direction in Croydon restrict PD rights for a 40m3 loft conversion? My plan is to build a dormer over the main body of the house + a rear dormer that is c.15ft of the 18ft rear extension (part of original structure). Coming in at sub 40m3 of added volume.
- If I build a loft conversion and get building control sign off for a sub 40m3 loft conversion do I actually need planning permission? i.e are my rights restricted by the article 4 direction in my borough.

Sponsored Links
You need to speak to someone at your local planning department (or look on-line) to check if the council has removed permitted development rights for dormer loft conversions.

If they haven't, you can build under p.d rights up to 40m³, unless you are listed or in conservation area etc.

(The council might issue policy guidelines for lofts in their supplementary guidance, but these might only be for when a dormer must have planning permission (eg if it is over 40m³)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back