Loft conversion general question

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Bit of an odd question, which I can't seem to find any answer for, so thought I'd post it up in here.

My semi is a 3 bedroom house, but the 3rd bedroom is very small. The loft is so big that I wish to do a loft conversion.

I'm struggling to figure out where I can put the loft stairs due to building regulations and I'm thinking of putting them in the 3rd bedroom.

The 3rd bedroom would then either become an even smaller bedroom or an office.

Is this a stange idea that the loft bedroom stairs would go through another bedroom or an office?

How would this affect the value of my house as its a bit strange, as the third bedroom would kind of dissappear, but would be replaced by a larger loft bedroom?

Any help appreciated, I know its a question with many different answers, just looking for opinions really.

THanks,

Matt

Sponsored Links
The stairs should not go through another "room". However there is nothing to stop you using some of this space.

Depending on your house layout and size, you could move the bedroom wall, to allow the stairs to start within the landing area.

Remember that you will need fire separation (doors) once you create a third floor so if you plan on having more than one room in the loft then you will need a landing up there with doors. Alternatively, if the loft will only have a single room then you could consider the small first floor room to be part of the upper floor room... you'd be limited to using it as an office space or some such, but it may be an option.

(difficult to tell the feasibility without seeing things or having dimensions etc)

The stairs should not go through another "room". However there is nothing to stop you using some of this space.

Depending on your house layout and size, you could move the bedroom wall, to allow the stairs to start within the landing area.

Remember that you will need fire separation (doors) once you create a third floor so if you plan on having more than one room in the loft then you will need a landing up there with doors. Alternatively, if the loft will only have a single room then you could consider the small first floor room to be part of the upper floor room... you'd be limited to using it as an office space or some such, but it may be an option.

(difficult to tell the feasibility without seeing things or having dimensions etc)

Yep, thanks for that. I'll post some dimensions up at a later date, but things keep changing all the time (small changes that make a big difference), such as extra step on the stairs etc.

It might be a good idea for view the loft conversion as an add on to the 3rd bedroom or have the 3rd bedroom as an office space.

I'll speak to my building regulations guy, but at the moment I'm just throwing around possible ideas.

Thanks,

Matt

My primary option would always be to separate stairs and rooms etc. As mentioned, things may vary depending on what you can fit in the loft.

most 3bed semis have enough space for a master bedroom with en-suite... maybe with a walk in wardrobe, but it all depends on the space you have. Some houses will have scope to have two distinct bedrooms.

You need to consider not only what you need, but what will help add value and saleability to your home if you ever choose to (or need to) move.

Having a single loft room passing through an integrated office / reading space on the floor below is not going to be as desireable (or as valuable) as having a loft room and then a separate office room.

Remember that if you lose a bedroom to create a bedroom then you will not be adding a huge amount of value, so you need to make sure that what you are left with is worthwhile... whilst you may not be able to create a 4 bed house, creating a 3bed house with home office IS going to add value (especially with more people these days working from home and that trend looking to continue in the future).

Sponsored Links
If the conversion is to be done to building regs, Permitted Development etc, then both flights of stairs must be seperate to any rooms, providing a secure escape route out of the house in case of a fire.
What is the layout to your ground floor ? Do your stairs exit into a hallway or direct into a room ?

Thanks for the input people.

At the moment the stairs from ground to first floor aren't in any rooms. Bottom of the stairs is next to the front door.

One thing I wasn't sure on, is from what I've read you have have a ladder going up to the loft. I can't seem to find if you are allowed a vertical fixed ladder or not?

The answer you are looking for will be found in Approved Document K. You are allowed fixed ladders, but ONLY to a loft extension and if it is completely impossible to fit in a compliant staircase, which would include an alternating tread staircase.

Note that you would be expected to design internal alterations to make stairs fit and only if stairs would still not work would they permit a fixed ladder. This means that in your case, it is unlikely to be compliant to have a ladder. In any case, if you have a fixed ladder then you you are only allowed to have 1 habitable room in the loft.

In all fairness, the most serious option would be to move the wall of the smallest room to make space for the staircase within the hallway. As you would be undertaking significant building works for a loft conversion and dormer anyway then a little extra to shift an internal wall isn't much.

Moving an internal wall isn't a problem at all (as there are no internal walls at the moment - I've taken them all down to replace them).

I don't plan on having a dormer window, just the velux that is already up there (previous owner had an attempt at a loft conversion).

I really would like to get an alternating staircase in, but I'm limited with space due to where the current stairs from ground to first floor is (as I need 2m head height on lower stairs).

Here's a picture
loftstairs_zps9039dea1.png

Would love to put the stairs to the loft where the x is. Need to make more measurements and calculations really.

THanks,

Matt

I've been thinking about doing something similar, and have the same issues as you.

I don't want to lose the third bedroom at first floor level as it will then be used as an office / guest room, but also, it's unlikely that I will fit a staircase into the existing landing space.

My idea is to make the third bedroom slightly shorter, but then steal a bit of space from the adjacent bedroom (which is much larger), so it's still usable.

It will still be tight though, so I think I need a double winder staircase, which will allow for more treads in a shorter space. Making the staircase narrower will also help if using a double winder, but you have to think about the practical aspects of using it and getting furniture up and down it.

Something like this:

mr vander, it certainly looks like you will be better off reducing the size of that front room. it seems as though you will have a hard time trying to keep the clear head height of the lower staircase otherwise.

The other problem you are going to run into is that the stairs will end up coming up right in the middle of your loft space. I am assuming that your roof pitch is lowest at the left and right of that image... this means you are using the tallest usable spaces for the stairs, when you ideally want this for the room. Now, this may not be a problem as long as you are able to put in a dormer... and of course depending on the actual roof heights you have...

I suggest you need to appoint a designer to come in and have a look to assess the feasibility and take a proper measured survey to work it all out.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back