Loft conversion questions and advice

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I'm after abit info regarding loft coversion with a dormer to 1965 2 bedroom bungalow. All the work will be done by professional. I want this to be classed as 3rd bedroom so want it done porperly. I'm getting afew quotes but want to know what to look out for regarding what should be done like beams, Firedoors etc. If you have any other advice or recommendations of what look out for and check or anything regarding loft coversion, I would be very grateful.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Your building regs and plans should give you all the info you need. As its a bungalow I don't think you need firedoors.

Your building regs and plans should give you all the info you need. As its a bungalow I don't think you need firedoors.

We don't have any plans at moment as we want the builder if possible to do the lot start to finnish. That explains why the first quote we've had only has 3 doors listed, Someone told me all the doors had to be firedoors.

Would I be better getting an architect to do the plans first and then finding someone to do the work?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Before anything else if you've not done so already I'd measure the height you have from floor to ridge. Anything less than about 2600 and the project is probably a no go anyway (typically you need about 250mm for the floor and 125 at rafter level) so 2600 - 250 - 125 = 2225. Just about OK for a floor - ceiling though you may need dormers if the ridge is quite low too. Though you may get the floor lower than that depending on the design. Getting the stairs in can also be fiddly.

It sounds like you're happy to go down this route anyway but unless you are prepared to put the time and effort in to learn about the required Building Regulations and construction techniques then it would be prudent to employ someone to do you a set of Building Regs drawings. People on here (DIYnot) do do loft conversions without any drawings (apart from structural engineers which is a must no matter what) but they do seem to come a cropper every now and then (though having a set of drawings is not a guarantee to avoid odd things cropping up either).

If good (ie not just a set of notes) then these drawings will guide you through the process providing you with a specification and demonstrate what you need to do to achieve your conversion. These drawings are submitted to Building Control and once approved you or your builder can start building away confident that if you adhere to their requirements you shouldn't get too many hiccups.

Don't waste your money with architects, generally speaking they are overkill for a lofty especially any commercial practices ie only employ one man bands otherwise you'll be paying £80+ an hour. So, employing a one man band architectural technician would be prudent, any respectable ones will give you the first hour or so to come round, have a look and a chat and get an idea of what you want to do and then write to you with a formal quote. Explain that you want drawings that a builder can actually build from (ie not just a plan and a set of notes cut and pasted from the last job) and ask to see a set of their Building Regs drawings. Don't be afraid to ask for references if you like. A good source of finding popular technicians can be looking at your local authority planning applications website and seeing who the popular technicians are. Ask for a fixed price (unless you are not sure what you want and want some feasibility done).

With regards to your structural engineer, (calculations are required for Building Control) a good technician will know pretty much what their usual engineers require and will integrate this into the drawings. How you employ a structural engineer is up to you/your technician. You will find some technicians charge you an overall price to include the SE calcs, others will expect you to employ and deal with the SE on your own and various other scenarios. Personally, with regards to SE's, within my fixed fees I allow for arranging quotes from, liaising with and integrating their final design within my drawings although the SE charges the client direct.

Personally, in my opinion, you should be wary of any builder prepared to give you anything but a rough estimate without a set of decent drawings.

More here on Planning and Regs: http://www.planningportal.gov.uk/permission/commonprojects/loftconversion/

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back