Loft conversion

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Looking to do a loft conversion. Current joists are 3inch. Between the floor and ceiling timbers I only have 1.9m . So assuming I may have to install 6 - 8 inch ?? Joists beside current ones, I would need to raise my ceiling timbers by about 400mm.
So my question relating to my 1st photo is
1. Is this achievable by restructuring the roof supports higher?

And to my 2nd photo
Can the roof supports be set up the same way as in the first photo

Thanks

Attachments

• CCBD7433-41EE-47C7-886D-2737AAB4B9A0.jpeg
    CCBD7433-41EE-47C7-886D-2737AAB4B9A0.jpeg
    247.4 KB · Views: 224
  • EDD5956C-5BBF-4AF9-942F-1CC2C6875603.jpeg
    EDD5956C-5BBF-4AF9-942F-1CC2C6875603.jpeg
    249.2 KB · Views: 196
Sponsored Links
You have a trussed roof so is not as simple as just raising the ceiling members. You will need advice from a structural engineer. You’ll also need to meet the BR’s in terms of but not limited to structure, fire escape, stairs/headroom and thermal.

You have a trussed roof so is not as simple as just raising the ceiling members. You will need advice from a structural engineer. You’ll also need to meet the BR’s in terms of but not limited to structure, fire escape, stairs/headroom and thermal.

Yes I understand all that, I’m more just looking to be told of ways it can be done and if it can be done, so I can weigh up what kind of money it is going to cost me. To see whether it’s worth while. The other things you mention are not going to be an issue.

Thanks

New and deeper floor joists fixed between and to the sides of the existing ceiling joists, new and deeper rafters fixed between and to the sides of the existing along with a timber flitch or steel beam at the ridge. Not knowing the overall width, you may require a timber or steel post to hell prop up the new ridge beam, which would come down onto a load bearing wall.

Look to engage the services of a designer or engineer as they’d be able to ascertain the feasibility of the works.

Sponsored Links
New and deeper floor joists fixed between and to the sides of the existing ceiling joists, new and deeper rafters fixed between and to the sides of the existing along with a timber flitch or steel beam at the ridge. Not knowing the overall width, you may require a timber or steel post to hell prop up the new ridge beam, which would come down onto a load bearing wall.

Look to engage the services of a designer or engineer as they’d be able to ascertain the feasibility of the works.

Will do, I’ve been waiting on someone coming back to me who is taking an eternity.

Thanks

...Adding an extra floor also usually requires that all inhabitable rooms, even those not modified, have fire doors and also smoke alarms on each level.

...Adding an extra floor also usually requires that all inhabitable rooms, even those not modified, have fire doors and also smoke alarms on each level.

Only when the existing dwelling is at least two-storey. It does not apply if you're adding a floor to a single storey dwelling.

And it's normally all doors onto the staircase irrespective if they're habitable or not. But there are also other ways to comply with BR's, which is on a case by case basis.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back