Floor joists within a loft conversion

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
In the majority of loft conversions, the existing "ceiling" joists will not be capable of receiving the additional loads following a loft conversion to a habitable room, which is where upgrading of the existing joists is required. Now, when you design these new "floor" joists to go inbetween the existing ceiling joists, would you feel pretty confident in using the TRADA timber span tables to design those new floor joists or would you leave it for a structural engineer to advise/design?

Sponsored Links
Yes, but I always go up a size anyway. I don't recall having ever done a lofty without an SE though so a moot point for me.

Thanks FMT :)

I've done a few in the past, but like you say... never without a SE.

I'm looking at a new job tomorrow and I was going to recommend getting a SE onboard but was just curious what Architects/Technicians would just use the information from the tables and be done with it... providing there are not any other structural alterations/implications.

Sponsored Links
If it's straightforward timber spans then the span tables are usually the best option. The only time I can think I've calculated timber joists rather than use the tables is a couple of occasions when I needed to use odd size timbers. I can't think of many lofts I've done that didn't need steels somewhere though - or multiple timber beams. Personally I do my own calcs and steel design but I wouldn't advise that without suitable PI insurance.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back