joist thickness for loft conversion

Sponsored Links
If anyone else can find an up to date reliable table then please post.

TRADA Span Tables

The old edition of Building Regs Part A, 1992 issue, give tables of timber sizes for spans, etc..........You can still find this on the web whereas the newer version keeps it secret, can't see why!

Yes that's correct Tipper. I've got a .pdf of the latest TRADA span tables so it doesn't really affect me, but the philosophy sucks. Some back scratching gone on down at ODPM / Dept for Communities and Local Govt methinks, so TRADA can pimp the above tables and line their own pockets.

TRADA Span Tables

The old edition of Building Regs Part A, 1992 issue, give tables of timber sizes for spans, etc..........You can still find this on the web whereas the newer version keeps it secret, can't see why!

Yes that's correct Tipper. I've got a .pdf of the latest TRADA span tables so it doesn't really affect me, but the philosophy sucks. Some back scratching gone on down at ODPM / Dept for Communities and Local Govt methinks, so TRADA can pimp the above tables and line their own pockets.

Thanks for the advice to all.

Hotrod you are right about the back scratching. Its the same with the NIC EIC, which I used to belong to for about 10 years, and CORGI or Gas Council. Its all a farce, there are geniune tradesmen out there who do a damn good and thorough job but cant afford to go to work for themselves any more because it cost so much to join these old boys clubs plus the mountains of beaurocracy each time you do a job. Only in this country.

TRADA Span Tables

I refused to pay for the TRADA tables when all I wanted was the size of one joist!

A little persistance and I found the old regs and now have pdfs of that as well as all the newer ones because it's only time until they charge for those as well!

Sponsored Links
But just how long will they be there for free access and why change part A to not have the tables that everybody relied upon.

It's the same as for the acoustic requirements for flat conversions, etc, you have to pay to get the official approved designs to some tin pot quango.

But just how long will they be there for free access and why change part A to not have the tables that everybody relied upon.

It's the same as for the acoustic requirements for flat conversions, etc, you have to pay to get the official approved designs to some tin pot quango.

I told you already why they removed the tables from Part A and why should you get approved designs for free when the manufacturers paid to have them tested? Besides, there are generic designs in the regs and plenty of info on the web to get suitable designs for most circumstances approved. You could always buy yourself the same book building control use!

Why spend money when there are 'know-it-alls' all over the web!!

Hi,

I am hoping to convert my loft this Spring. Just a query, my ceiling joists are mainly 4x2, with a couple 4x3 could I coach screw, and glue another 4x2 onto the top of these to form 8x2's? If so, which would be the strongest method, running with the joists or across them? The maximum span is 4.5 mts. Comments appreciated.

Hi,

I am hoping to convert my loft this Spring. Just a query, my ceiling joists are mainly 4x2, with a couple 4x3 could I coach screw, and glue another 4x2 onto the top of these to form 8x2's? If so, which would be the strongest method, running with the joists or across them? The maximum span is 4.5 mts. Comments appreciated.

Sticking another 4"x2" on top will not satisfy b'regs.

P.s. start a new thread. ;)

Hi,

Sticking another 4"x2" on top will not satisfy b'regs.

P.s. start a new thread. ;)

I read somewhere that the process of attaching timber onto existing joists is called 'sistering' and this makes up the . I don't know if it is allowed now. I asked an architect recently, who was getting in his 50's and he had never heard of the process so I can't imagine it being very popular. However it cant be much different from 'gluebeams'. It is only my opinion but I think it is possible to achieve a satifactory floor strucure using this method but how you prove the strength is upto the required standard is another matter. Further to that the existing ceiling joists will be too far apart to comply with the standard 400mm ctrs. for 8" or 9" x 2" joists. We need some clever person to take on the building inspector with this method to prove it is not acceptable

I read somewhere that the process of attaching timber onto existing joists is called 'sistering' and this makes up the . I don't know if it is allowed now. I asked an architect recently, who was getting in his 50's and he had never heard of the process so I can't imagine it being very popular. However it cant be much different from 'gluebeams'. It is only my opinion but I think it is possible to achieve a satifactory floor strucure using this method but how you prove the strength is upto the required standard is another matter. Further to that the existing ceiling joists will be too far apart to comply with the standard 400mm ctrs. for 8" or 9" x 2" joists. We need some clever person to take on the building inspector with this method to prove it is not acceptable

Sistering simply means installing another joist along side the existing, then fixing one to the other, with the new joist being deeper, thus carrying the load above without disturbing the ceiling below.

Gluing a joist on top of another joist is not comparable to the 'Glu-Lam' system.

Sistering simply means installing another joist along side the existing, then fixing one to the other, with the new joist being deeper, thus carrying the load above without disturbing the ceiling below.

Gluing a joist on top of another joist is not comparable to the 'Glu-Lam' system.

Interesting stuff.

In new installations as I understand it the new joists are not to come into contact with the old so as not to cause any disturbance to the plaster board below. The last DIY loft job I did at one of my previous houses I sat my 9"x2"'s on a 1" thick timber plate so to stand the joist off. I havent read it anywhere, I have just seen it done on many jobs I have been to in the past and copied the standard. Is there a set distance you are required to have and is it simply to reduce the noise/ disturbance between the new floor and the old ceiling???

I mentioned this on another post:-
Am I alone in using the old rule of thumb for joists as being span/thickness+2
So for a 4m or 13' opening the equation is 13/2+2 = 8.5"x2" or next size up

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back