Joists for attic conversion

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello I'm converting our attic. I've done one before but only as a storage space so could not be sold as a bedroom. I'm keen to do this one as close as I can to the right way ! The stairs are in now for the floor a couple of questions if possible please
1-What size joist do I need to use the span is 5m and the other measurement is 4m . I know I have to put a new floor in 15 mm above the ceiling joists ?
2- What should I use to fix the joist hangers to the brick I've seen rawplugs but I reckon ill need about 30 so would be keen to use something cheaper !
3-If the gap between the new floor and the ceiling is less than 2m and we are ok with that can I just carry on ?

Thanks in advance
Tom

Sponsored Links
Hello I'm converting our attic. I've done one before but only as a storage space so could not be sold as a bedroom. I'm keen to do this one as close as I can to the right way ! The stairs are in now for the floor a couple of questions if possible please
1-What size joist do I need to use the span is 5m and the other measurement is 4m . I know I have to put a new floor in 15 mm above the ceiling joists ?
2- What should I use to fix the joist hangers to the brick I've seen rawplugs but I reckon ill need about 30 so would be keen to use something cheaper !
3-If the gap between the new floor and the ceiling is less than 2m and we are ok with that can I just carry on ?

Thanks in advance
Tom

I expect you can use a timber wall plate and then use timber joist hangers nailed on....

If its being properly then you will need building regs, and the joist sizes would be on the drawing? a clear span of 5 metres will need quite big joists 50 x 225 C24 400 c/c Id guess

I'm keen to do this one as close as I can to the right way
Does that include putting a building regs application in?
Which in most cases will require you to specify the components and the inspector agree them.

Sponsored Links
Yes if that's th best way and many thanks as I reckon your telling me politely that's the way to do it ? Many thanks
Tom

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back