Loft conversions - worth the money?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I had a loft conversion done, but it got so hot in summer that I stopped using it as a bedroom. It's now a spare room and junk room. Your thoughts please on usefulness and value of loft conversions. Thanks.

Sponsored Links
I tell ya, there's no stopping the info you care to impart, blimey can't shut yo up, what do they call you? Chatterbox? :rolleyes:

Sponsored Links
LOL @Freddy...

I guess I will add a little to this then :D

The usefulness of a loft conversion all depends on how badly you need it.
For example, if you are just after utilising the large open space in there and decide to throw some money at it to convert it properly (i.e BR) then probably not that useful.
However if you are needing an extra bedroom (i.e living in a 2 bedroom terrace house) and are unable to move, then it would be very useful if you had 2 kids of different sexes.

It would probably also not be that useful, if you was looking at the sell on value. Although that really could depend on the property converted, the area
and current market trends.

Why should it get hotter than any other part of the house in summer??

If anything mine is cooler as it's the best insulated part of my 1902 built house. Also being so high up you get an amazing breeze coming through the veluxes.

Certainly earlier loft conversions with inadequate insulation can be total sweat boxes and the opposite in the winter but if done 4 years ago it should be good spec, maybe they only did a half-arsed job?

Why should it get hotter than any other part of the house in summer??

If anything mine is cooler as it's the best insulated part of my 1902 built house. Also being so high up you get an amazing breeze coming through the veluxes.

agree mine was warm in the cold spell, my boy was up there with no heating and was fine ( no doors yet ) in the hot days best room to be.

The usefulness of a loft conversion all depends on how badly you need it.
However if you are needing an extra bedroom (i.e living in a 2 bedroom terrace house) and are unable to move, then it would be very useful if you had 2 kids of different sexes.
In my case very useful could not afford to move up and liked area

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back