Loft damp after rain. Condensation or dry ridge leak?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm experiencing a frustrating problem at the moment and im looking for some advice/thoughts.

We noticed the roof felt in the eaves about our loft conversion had become wet,and looking at the exterior of our semi could see the mortar had obviously failed on the ridge. As the water was on the inside of the felt did consider condensation factor but there was an association with it raining and increased moisture, and the ridge obviously needed doing anyway so hoped that would do it.

We hired a recommended to us by friends roofer whom encouraged us to fit a dry ridge system which we agreed. However we are still seeing water in the eaves only after rain. Full length of roof on both sides being wet. The accessible portions are dry as a bone at present, they dry out within about 24 hours after rain stops. But with any rain its quickly wet again.
20211223_222208.jpg

Looking at the ridge it appears that no attempt has been made to stick the ridge membrane to the tiles.

20211223_222208.jpg

So I've spoken to the roofer who revisited whilst it's dry. He says he is convinced it's condensation, that the membrane does not need to be stuck down as barely any water would get blown up under it, that he's fitted hundreds of these systems and they've never leaked. We are very exposed on steep hill... Every video on YouTube and instruction manual Ive seen talks about how to get a good seal between membrane and tile first time...

Admittedly a previous owner did do a poor quality loft conversion; between the boards and membrane they've used a wool insulation so I agree the ventilation is probably not the best.

But, we`ve lived here for about 4 years, use the eaves regularly for storing clothes and until recently always dry. It's dry now and we've all had showers today, heating on and it's freezing out. If it's condensation in my mind it should be wet now, but it's dry (other than the wool if you reach up under the boards but I'm not surprised that would take a while to dry out.

At the moment roofer is telling me I need to pull as much insulation out as I can reach to improve airflow, but obv at the expense of additional heat loss. I just want the membrane stuck down as every guide says to do beforehand to see if this does fix it...

My current plan is to leave the insulation alone at the moment, check daily to see if we do get any increase in wetness whilst it's dry out, then if as I suspect it's fine till it rains again put this to the roofer to explain and ask for the membrane to be stuck down. The ridge is barely 5m long and it only took 2.5hours to fit the thing in the first place!

Any opinions/recommendations, any truth that the membrane doesn't really need to stick? Is it just really hard to get it to stick to old tiles whilst it's so cold ot anyway?

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back