Loft door latch stuck

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My loft door latch is stuck - help!

It is operated by turning a metal ring by inserting a hook that is on a pole. The metal ring turns but it isn't releasing the lock. Any suggestions about how I can get the door open please?

Thank you.

Sponsored Links
Is there a screw-head or nut visible? You may need to tighten it.

otherwise, try poking a blunt knife or old screwdriver up the gap. You may have to force it or break the latch, hitting the old screwdriver with a hammer.

If you have to fit a new one, a fanlight latch/transom latch is pretty reliable, and as it is fixed to the lower side of the hatch, if it ever jams, you can easily get at it or unscrew it.

s-l225.webp

on ebay at around £8, or a hardware store may stock it.

Apply upward pressure to help free as you turn, normally just 1/4 turn to release, unless you turn the wrong direction.?

No, can't do it. When I turn the ring one way it seems to tighten but when I turn it back the other way nothing happens. It feels completely locked. I've attached a photo of the ring I'm talking about, if that helps.

Thank you.
Maria

Attachments

• A7E467C1-27F9-48BA-BF0F-0D9634F50ED4.jpeg
    A7E467C1-27F9-48BA-BF0F-0D9634F50ED4.jpeg
    60.8 KB · Views: 454
Sponsored Links
Hello there, tried all that but it won't budge. When I turn the metal ring one way it tightens but when I turn it back nothing happens. I've attached a photo of the metal ring if that helps...
Thanks

Attachments

• A7E467C1-27F9-48BA-BF0F-0D9634F50ED4.jpeg
    A7E467C1-27F9-48BA-BF0F-0D9634F50ED4.jpeg
    60.8 KB · Views: 249
Can you get up really close to it and see whether you can see a square hole inside by peering down the sides of the eye?

707-500x500.jpg

I've got this strange feeling that someone has bodged a normal eyebolt and nut in there so they could use the pole/hook to open it. And now has of course worked loose, hence it allows you to turn it without doing anything, i.e. undoing the nut. The ones that usually use a hook on a stick look like JohnD's pic above, and they just pull, no turning.

Something just doesn't look right with it. Usually, the ones that turn with a long pole look like this instead with the plastic circle bit visible...

https://www.jupiterblue.co.uk/loft-...-catch-lock-fits-loft-doors-11-20mm-thick-p80

IMG_3218.jpeg Hello again, this is the best I can do, can't see inside it. This was installed by builders when they made the hatch larger and put a new loft ladder in. I've also included a photo of the hook!
IMG_3218.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_3221.jpeg
    IMG_3221.jpeg
    191.5 KB · Views: 273
As Catboy has mentioned above, normally these doors just pull down.

Have you opened it before or are you new to the property?

Andy

Hello! We've been here a few months and I've been using it regularly till the other day when it jammed.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back