Loft hatch door stuck - help please!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
To open my loft hatch, I normally just push it up with the end of the pole and the spring releases the door. It is not opening and I can't get into the loft to see what is wrong. Can't take the hinges off as these are also above the door.

Has anyone please got any suggestions on how to deal with this, except drilling a large hole through the door!

Any help would be appreciated. Many thanks.

Sponsored Links
I would start be trying to find out where it's sticking. Push up hard at each of the two corners which aren't on the hinged edge. Can you get any movement at either corner?

i had this happen a few years ago in one of my old homes .... haven't used that type of catch since. Can't remember how i solved it either.

But, it's either a case that you're not pushing it far enough to trigger the release, or after it's been released, something is stopping it from dropping. So i would firstly try to apply slightly more pressure to the hatch, try to focus on the latch. Or maybe try a couple of poles around the latch. Maybe get on a ladder and push with your palm, this may give you better 'feel'.

Otherwise, try prising the hatch open, with, say, a large flat bladed screwdriver in the gap (if it damages the wood slightly you won't see it).

If neith of those work, can you get the nozzle from a WD40 can through to the latch? and try again?

But if no joy, i'd just cut or break through and replace the lot. It's a pain, but relatively inexpensive job...

Good luck

I've just worked out what kind of hatch you mean so please ignore my earlier suggestion. :oops: :oops: :oops:

This is a long shot but ---

Maybe it won't release because it never fully closed in the first place. :idea: :idea: :idea: (Toggling mechanisms generally won't operate correctly if the previous action hasn't completed.) Is there anything you can get hold of to try and pull the hatch down?

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back