Unable to open loft hatch

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
To open my loft hatch, I normally just push it up with the end of the pole and the spring releases the door. It is not opening and I can't get into the loft to see what is wrong. Can't take the hinges off as these are also above the door.

I bought a similar lock catch (see picture):

After trying for ten minutes I discovered there are occasions when the metal tongue gets completely stuck, making it impossible to open.

I have two questions:

1) How to saw off the metal tongue without damaging the wood
2) What to replace the catch with.

Many thanks, Jimbo

Sponsored Links
Try and apply slightly more pressure on the latch area

Or push on the 2 corners at the same time of the latch side, could be the door got a slight twist therefore putting pressure on the latch

Or a wide chisel or flat blade in the gap to prise it open and spray some WD40

As above push hard up and lever it out at the same time

You can buy blades for stanley knifes which is about 6" long and is like a hack saw blade that may do it.

Hi

Thanks for the replies. I tried all your suggestions but it failed to release the lock.

I decided to try to drill out the screws holding the tongue. I made a guess at where the tongue was and started to drill into the tongue itself! I then took a punch and hit it hard ... This was a mistake as it split the wood.

I've had a good look at the latch. Over the years the bottom of the catch has become rounded causing the tongue to be jammed inside.

So I now need to decide whether to replace with a similar latch or a different one. If I use the same latch I shall bolt it in position so I can release the nuts from outside the loft.

Any thoughts? Many thanks, Jimbo

Sponsored Links
If you're not bothered about the appearance then have a look at external locks type, many difference type of locks out there, this one approx £6

spring-loaded-fanlight-catch-fan-light-loft-window-latch-solid-brass-537-p.jpg

I secured the tongue using two bolts with the nuts on the outside of the hatch and hacksawed the thread level to the nuts. The nuts are hidden from view by the plastic catch.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back