STUCK LOFT HATCH

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
A search revealed a few people have had this problem. I have a catch that secures the loft hatch from inside and it isn't opening. Usually I just push a pole up at the loft hatch apply some pressure and the catch releases and frees the door which drops down. I have tried oiling and pushing firmly but to no avail.
Does anyone have any advice. I am coming to the conclusion I might need to cut a hole in the hatch door!!!

Sponsored Links
If banging the door (which I imagine you have tried) will not shift it, perhaps a hacksaw blade slipped in the gap might allow you to cut through the catch. Either wrap the end of the saw in tape to grip or better still fit it in to a padsaw handle.

Using the saw so it cuts on the down stroke might work best. (I assume there are no cables near the catch! :D )

sounds like the screws holding the catch have come loose and when you push against it the latch is moving rather than unlocking.

Had the same problem twice !

1St time - heavy blow with hand and it unlocked.

2ND time- leaver bar under hatch, pulled screws out. Easier than expected with no visual damage.

Sponsored Links
I have a fireman friend coming over tomorrow who will try and sort. Thanks for your tips.... I will advise a hefty bang and then a saw!! Will let you know of progress

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back