Loft Downlighters in PIR

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
I am looking to install down lighters in the ceiling of my new loft.
I have 100mm PIR insulation just above the Plasterboard, then a 50mm (min) void above that, and then the plywood roof.

BC plans spec low energy lighting.

Is this going to be possible, have been looking at LED low profile down lights ... can these b embedded in insulation, as they dont generate that much heat.

I also want an electric shower, I assume this need protecting on a 40a 30mA RCD circuit, there is no room on my existing consumer unit for this, is it best to replace the unit entirely - or split the tails and have an additional unit installed.

I understand any metal objects in a bathroom need to be earthed, does an electrician need to come in to certify such an earth connection ?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
I am looking to install down lighters in the ceiling of my new loft.
I have 100mm PIR insulation just above the Plasterboard, then a 50mm (min) void above that, and then the plywood roof.
Then you cannot.

BC plans spec low energy lighting.
Ok.

Is this going to be possible,
Low energy lighting is possible.
Putting them in the insulation is not.

have been looking at LED low profile down lights ... can these b embedded in insulation, as they dont generate that much heat.
They cannot and yes they do.

I also want an electric shower, I assume this need protecting on a 40a 30mA RCD circuit,
Yes, plus a similar overcurrent protection device.

there is no room on my existing consumer unit for this, is it best to replace the unit entirely - or split the tails and have an additional unit installed.
Up to you.

I understand any metal objects in a bathroom need to be earthed,
No they must not be earthed.
They may require bonding if they already are.
That you have said that shows you don't understand.

does an electrician need to come in to certify such an earth connection ?
No. One needs to come in and ensure it is done properly.

I feel it would be better if you consulted an electrician.

Sorry, yes it was bonding I should have referred to it as.

Thanks for your replies.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back