downlights and loft insulation

L

llewop

Hi,
I'm converting my garage into a dining room and want to install 6 down lights. I was going to cut out the holes and just loop the down lights together but then realised I have loft insulation between the ceiling and the room above. I have noticed you can get dowlighters that come with a plastic casing round them (the lamp is totally enclosed) and want to know if it would be ok to install these if I clear as much insulation away from the down lighters from below as I can (by putting my hand up through the holes). Or will I have to lift the floor in the bed room above and remove the loft insulation completely.

Sponsored Links
If you're going to do that then I would recommend using low energy GU10's due to them having much less heat output.
You'll need to source 7watt lamps to use with a standard fire rated fitting which have a fixed GU10 lampholder.

Tear down the ceiling, and remove all the insulation. It is no longer needed. Maybe a couple of hundred quid to replace the ceiling, and it will be nice and smooth and shiny.

And use low energy downlighters.

Thanks for the help, I remove the insulation seems the best option. Out of interest is the down lighters close to the insulation a fire risk or is it just more likely to blow the lamp due to the heat.

Sponsored Links
Can I persuade you to think carefully over this, anyway? I had to deal with a case of 'ceiling acne' after removing old-fashioned PAR spots from this house, and I would be extremely reluctant to create the same situation again.

The halogen types may be neater, but they are not much more energy-efficient than GLS bulbs. (and the heat they produce is wasted into the ceiling-void, at that.) The low-energy spots don't give much light. Best answer, as always, is standard pendants. They may not be the latest fad, but they work. Or use uplighters, they give subdued lighting ideal for dining, and involve far less damage.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back