downlighters and insulation

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
downlighters in an upstairs room with loft insulation above, i know i can't put the insulation back over the lights due to heat, and i can't find anything commercialy available that will allow the heat to escape through the insulation.so what is the answer.

Sponsored Links
most electrical wholesalers supply fire covers designed to sit on top of the downlighter maintaining the ceilings fire barrier

thanks fireman,but i don't need fire hoods they just seal the hole if there is a fire and i would still have the same problem of not being able to cover the lights with loft insulation,i am looking for some sort of tube to take the heat from the lamps through the insulation.
kier i have looked on the screwfix site but could only find fire hoods,is that what you were pointing at.
surely when downlighters are fitted upstairs everyone can't be leaving the insulation pulled back,or is it general practice to just cover the lights

Sponsored Links
I've used 4" terracotta flower pots with the bases removed before. Worked great. Cheap and heat/fire resistant.

Symo

Symo said:
I've used 4" terracotta flower pots with the bases removed before. Worked great. Cheap and heat/fire resistant.

Symo
Isn't that a chimney?

Rgds.

Only advice I can give to to find out from the maker of the lights what clearances they need, and construct a box from platserboard that meets these dimensions and place that over the top of the might and rockwool over that. But I suppose the light might be expected to have at least some ventillation :confused: (I'd ask whether my suggested approach would be ok before doing it I think)

Actually I wouldn't fit the things to start with... more problems than they are worth :evil: (btw, I've managed to find somne surface fittings for our bathrooms that cover the holes nicely :) )

Kes said:
Symo said:

Symo
Isn't that a chimney?

Rgds.

Yeah. That is NOT the thing to do....

They should be fine as long as you move the insulation away from the lights and trannies if fitted. Make sure you have at least 6-8" of space around them. Putting a box around them will serve no purpose and you certainly dont need to provide some sort of heat flue. After all there is a loft above so plenty of room for the heat to dissipate.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back