Insulating roofspace over downlighters - are hoods needed ?

Not in the slightest no......sounds like the consensus was not to take your advice.

Sponsored Links
The nICC guy said before he gave me a certificate i had to cover them, and advised me to make a box over them , made out of plasterboard and drill some holes in them for ventilation.
Err - no, they re supposed to be sealed.

so i got some plasterboard, made them into a box and places over the downligters. i drilled some holes at the top of them to let air escape,
Err - no, they are supposed to be air-tight.

then laid the insulation up to these boxes (u could lay over them).
Err - no "could", you must cover them or you'll have large sections of ceiling with no insulation.

he then checked them, said it was fine
Yes, but he clearly didn't know what he was doing.

Sounds like the consensus from those who actually police building regs then is that this is a perfectly acceptable solution.
Only if you regard an ignorant NICEIC electrician as someone who polices the Building Regulations...

the reason he said to drill some holes in the plasterboard was to let any heat generated by the downlights naturally escape. they are only very small holes made by a small drill piece.
however i understand ban all shed saying not to allow ventilation, but the way is see it, that if a little hot air escapres from within the cover its a good thing.

when making the plasterboard boxes make them so they fit snug in between the joist spaces (that way they cant move about)
i used PB Screws and gaffa tape to help secure the edges on the PB. after they will just look like a little square hat, put them over the downlighters and lay the insulation up to them and job done. also drill a few holes in them so heat generated can gently escape via small drill holes in the PB. the holes shud be smaller then yr finger size.

reason i didnt lay insualtion over the PB boxes, because i sometimes store items in loft, and walk around up there. with insulation not going over the top u can see exactly where they are, and no funny mistakes can be made. this little area of loft space wont really make no diff if its not insulated, do the maths :)

anyways i know now the loft is secure and safe with the downlighters, and was passed and a certificate given. everyone has their own way, but i dont think u can go wrong with the way i did it....

Sponsored Links
i dont think u can go wrong with the way i did it....
Except that you fail to meet any of the building regs that covering the downlighters is supposed to meet. :!:

The idea is to provide a moisture seal and allow the insulation to be continuous over the lights.

If you are going to drill holes and leave the boxes uncovered then why bother at all :?: Just cut a 30cm hole in the insulation around the them and leave the opening into the loft cavity. Does the same job as your boxes.

when making the plasterboard boxes make them so they fit snug in between the joist spaces (that way they cant move about)

They are supposed to be sealed with silicone to the ceiling if you do it properly they can't move!

Do the job properly or not at all, read the NHBC guidance like BAS said.

the reason he said to drill some holes in the plasterboard was to let any heat generated by the downlights naturally escape. they are only very small holes made by a small drill piece.
Shouldn't be necessary if the boxes are large enough.

however i understand ban all shed saying not to allow ventilation, but the way is see it, that if a little hot air escapres from within the cover its a good thing.
No, it's a bad thing as it means heat will also escape from the room below.

i used PB Screws and gaffa tape to help secure the edges on the PB.
No - they should be completely sealed with a bead of silicone around all the edges.

after they will just look like a little square hat, put them over the downlighters and lay the insulation up to them and job done.
No - the insulation should cover them.

also drill a few holes in them so heat generated can gently escape via small drill holes in the PB. the holes shud be smaller then yr finger size.
No - see above about making the boxes large enough.

reason i didnt lay insualtion over the PB boxes, because i sometimes store items in loft, and walk around up there. with insulation not going over the top u can see exactly where they are, and no funny mistakes can be made.
I think you'd spot the hills in the insulation just as easily.

this little area of loft space wont really make no diff if its not insulated, do the maths :)
Doesn't matter - it doesn't comply with Part L.

And the ceilings below will start to discolour where the holes in the insulation are because convection currents carrying dust will concentrate in those areas.

anyways i know now the loft is secure and safe with the downlighters, and was passed and a certificate given.
Given in error by someone who didn't know what they were doing.

everyone has their own way, but i dont think u can go wrong with the way i did it....
Depends on whether you think not doing it right equates to doing it wrong...

:mad:

Downlighters are evul, we bought a 400yr old property converted 15yrs ago with 60, yes sixty five in holes cut into what was perfect plasterboard.

We are now inundated with every insect that chooses to craw or fly, we getso much draft and heat loss it is like living in an insect house/colinder!!

don't do it

So, I've read all the vitriolic argument, and I am still undecided whether to fit loft caps and use lower wattage (28W) lamps, and insulate over the top, or to take them out and face the ire of the members of the family who actually like them.

If I did remove them, how do I make a decent (preferably invisible) job of filling the holes? Or do I have to replace the whole ceiling?

Kevin

Guys. Guys. Guys.

The point about this is that some people like downlighters and they can look very stylish and provide a suitable amount of light as this is a personal preference!

It seems to me that if you de-construct all these posts that even those against this type of fitting have given some useful advice (forgetting personal opinion).

I think it comes down to: if you're going to do a job, do it right and that means making sure any work complies to current regulations, if you don't, you might be storing up problems for the future - regulations are there to make things safe and to stop you doing things in a way that may make your property, and those residing in it, unsafe.

As far as I can see, a solution ie the plasterboard hood, complies and allows you to comply with all the relevant regulations, it is a simple solution (even I could knock one of these up in 30 or so minutes) so, in the time it's taken to monitor this thread you could have made one.

Thanks to all those contributing to this thread - it has certainly given me the knowledge of what to do, and why you should do it, if I fit these lights in the roof ceiling.

Let's not get back into the argument again (although I would be interested in seeing what the regs actually say ... where can I find the relevant document? Citation please?)

My question has not really been answered. If I do decide to take out the downlighter (which decision I have not made yet ... how do I go about invisibly mending the hole?

Let's not get back into the argument again (although I would be interested in seeing what the regs actually say ... where can I find the relevant document? Citation please?)

My question has not really been answered. If I do decide to take out the downlighter (which decision I have not made yet ... how do I go about invisibly mending the hole?

Poke some battens through the hole and screw them into the existing ceiling, cut a peice of plasterboard and screw it in the orrifice (sp). fill out proud of the skim using easy fill, sand back flush with ceiling, prime and paint.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back