Loft Extention - Ex Local Auth House - Roof Height

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,

I am running out of space on my ex local auth house, at the moment it seems to be cheaper to expand rather than buying a bigger house.

Build into the loft

The problem I have is that when I stand on the beams I cannot fully stand up and I am 5ft 6 tall, I think the height from beam to roof rafter at its highest point is 5ft 4. I know sometimes you can lower the ceiling to increase the height but in my case this is not possible as the ceilings are quite low anyway. The other complication my house is a terrace but only connected to another house so anything I do will presumably have impact next door.

Any advice or suggestions would be most appreciated.

Sponsored Links
you cannot alter the roof line as visible from the front
so no way off gaining height

Sponsored Links
Option 2

Build an extension on the back of the property.

The plan would be to part of make the current kitchen into a living room and the extension into kitchen with a small study room.

My garden is pretty small its 6mtr x 2.5mtrs.

So my plan would be to make a 2.5mtr x2.5mtr extension.
My problem is I want the current kitchen to becoming a living space but how do I get light into that room. I want to put up a wall between the kitchen and new extension as I don't want cooking smells to get into the living space.

Ill draw up a diagram for more so its easier to understand.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back