Loft floor advice?

We have made a start.

I nailed the hangers onto a 7x2 and bolted it into the steel. I bolted another piece of wood to the back of the steel too and reinstated the ends of the old 3x2 bits to the wall plate. They were originally fixed with a single nail which came out with a push up, I had a sleepless night after pulling them down so did that for piece of mind. They were not attached to the rafters.

Then I removed 2 layers of brick from the centre wall and my apprentice bedded on a piece of 4x1.5.

I ran the 8x2's from the hangers to the centre wall. I got the 8x2's in a 3.6 mtr and cut 35cm off each to use as a noggin. I bolted the furthest one to the wall.

I got a long L-strap which I fixed to the wall and first 4 joists.

image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

Few questions.

Should I also strap the new wall plate to the centre wall or could I fix through it into the brick?

Should I nail the 8x2's to the 7x2 near the top where they are out of the hanger?

When I clamped the 7x2 if lifted itself to the flat vertical part of the RSJ, should I now fill under it with mortar or something else, small wedges??

Any other advice?

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
The centre wall plate should have been bedded onto a layer of cement, and should be going anywhere with the joists sitting on top of it, and I assume nailed down on to it as well.

It won't hurt to stick a screw or nail either side of the 8x2s in to the 7x2 for a bit of added stability, but with the noggins in place, they shouldn't be going anywhere.

It's looking good, well done.

The centre wall plate is on sand/cement but not fixed down or fixed to the new joists yet. It was a bit of the old roof and a coincidence that it was the perfect size!!

Put a couple of screws in each joist on to the wall plate, and you'll be fine. The weight of the joists will happily keep it in place.

Sponsored Links
We have had a guy design a loft for us, he has done a drawing which is having a few tweeks before he submits it to the council for approval.
Hi Ian,
Would you happen to have any drawings available to post on here? I'm about to start something very similar and am indecisive about the floor design. I've had advice from SE but I think there may be a better way to increase ceiling height.
Thanks.

Unfortunately not. I fell out with the plan guy after his designs repeatedly failed to match the local councils guidelines.

I ended up finding a really good SE and he spoke to building control and OK'd the changes I made while fitting the floor.

What's your idea for your ceiling height?

Unfortunately not. I fell out with the plan guy after his designs repeatedly failed to match the local councils guidelines.

I ended up finding a really good SE and he spoke to building control and OK'd the changes I made while fitting the floor.

What's your idea for your ceiling height?
Hi Ian,
Thanks for reply.
Well I have 8"x2" joists at the moment which the SE says I can double up on and that will suffice. But I think I can insert smaller steel supports and subsequently smaller higher grade timber joists. It may only be 2" extra but i'd pay extra for it if need be. I think I need to draw a diagram for SE for him to understand my idea and he can correct me or calculate away.
Cheers.

8x2's can span about 4mtrs as far as I know. How long are they spanning at your house?

Not bad, I sleep in there now :)

It's give a big bedroom, decent walk in wardrobe, onsuite (not done that yet) and storage.
IMG_5886.JPG

IMG_7067.JPG

IMG_7180.JPG

IMG_7222.JPG

IMG_7416.JPG

IMG_7478.JPG

Love that exposed chimney breast! It is the new master bedroom now? assuming it's your house.. lol

Is that dormer roof GRP? And may I ask how was planning success with such a large dormer? Looks to be over PD threshold size?

beers!

Yes, new master bedroom. The dormer just squeezes into PD, it's something like 560mm back from the eaves, the roof is extended about 30mtrs over the extension and the dormer is about 18mtrs.

The house is ugly but slowly improving, eventually it will be rendered:
IMG_2480.JPG

IMG_5723.JPG

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back