Loft floor, T&G or Ply sheets

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
What would you guys recommend for my new loft floor? Im going for 22mm ply as per architects advice, he has said use the Tongue and Groove type but id prefer to use 22mm straight edged sheets as it would be bother cheaper and easier to lift in future if needed.

Is there any long term performance issues using the straight edged sheets?

Sponsored Links
22mm ply ? bit over the top imo and
very expensive , not to mention the waste. i use 22mm t&g caberfloor and adhesive.

Is it going to be a dusty loft where you store your Christmas tree? Or conversion to a habitable room?

What size are the joists?

Is it going to be a dusty loft where you store your Christmas tree? Or conversion to a habitable room?

What size are the joists?

Its going to have a landing, 2 small bedrooms, shower room and small office

Sponsored Links
Then you will need either T&G, or struts (noggins) under all unsupported edges.

I used square edge ply for ease of later access, and it dips slightly at the joint otherwise, when you walk on them. Only very slightly, but you can feel it barefoot or in soft shoes, and it is annoying.

Then you will need either T&G, or struts (noggins) under all unsupported edges.

I used square edge ply for ease of later access, and it dips slightly at the joint otherwise, when you walk on them. Only very slightly, but you can feel it barefoot or in soft shoes, and it is annoying.

Do you get that dip even with noggings under the joints? Or where the edges run along the joists?

As i do a lot of maintenance contracting i find t&g boards are a nightmare when trying to gain access under them, and they never go back on without causing issues so was trying to stick to straight edge if possible on my own loft

thats 4 rooms in a loft. i’m assuming you’ll floor the whole area then stud partition on top?

thats 4 rooms in a loft. i’m assuming you’ll floor the whole area then stud partition on top?

I was thinking of stud partitions directly onto the joists & then butt the edges of the ply against the partition studs.

no reason, it’s just not a method i’ve ever used . for several reasons.
I was just wishing you luck as I won’t be able to help with this method.

no reason, it’s just not a method i’ve ever used . for several reasons.
I was just wishing you luck as I won’t be able to help with this method.

I see, the reason im going down this route is it will be easier to lift boards in future. I was planning on having noggings along all edges to support the floorboards

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back