Non Tongue & Groove Ply For Flooring

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

Need to floor out the upstairs of our new extension, I've been offered a load of 22mm 8x4 ply sheets for free but there just your normal square edge sheets not tongue and groove.

Joists are 600mm spacing so it's fine thickness side just wondered if I'm asking for an unbearably noisy floor by using non t+g

Thanks
Chris

Sponsored Links
On the contrary square edged boards with expansion gaps screwed and properly centred on the joists, will reduce noise/movement that t&g might produce, and are easier to get up if/when the inevitable screw or nail goes through a pipe/cable.
Blup

That's good news, how big should the expansion gap be?

A credit card gap between the butted staggered joints and 10 mm around the edges to be covered by the skirting.

Blup

Sponsored Links
On the contrary square edged boards with expansion gaps screwed and properly centred on the joists, will reduce noise/movement that t&g might produce, and are easier to get up if/when the inevitable screw or nail goes through a pipe/cable.
Blup
Expansion gap on flooring thats screwed down every 600mm to joists?

Hi all,

Need to floor out the upstairs of our new extension, I've been offered a load of 22mm 8x4 ply sheets for free but there just your normal square edge sheets not tongue and groove.

Joists are 600mm spacing so it's fine thickness side just wondered if I'm asking for an unbearably noisy floor by using non t+g

Thanks
Chris
These are worth a small fortune at the moment, so take them if you can get them :)

Just note that 8 x 4ft sheets are actually 2440 x 1220mm and therefore won't fit directly onto 600mm centres without trimming in the length

Got 35 sheets this morning along with a 2m steel workbench all for free hard work shifting them though and I've yet to get them upstairs

The spacings aren't all 600mm anyway so there will be cuts regardless to get them sitting nicely.

On shop fitting work we used to put a 1/4in groove all round and fix the stuff with a 1/4in plywood loose tongue glued in place.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back