OSB3 vs Ply vs floor boards - Please help!!!

Love the exposed pale wood floor look.
Then use 22mm ply and put down wood-effect vinyl. It's cheaper than the real thing, softer, quieter, low maintenance, withstands water, is easy to change as fashion dictates, and you won't be tip-toeing around in slippers while praying you don't scratch it.

I also like the polished concrete look but not in period property with suspended timber flooring.
You can get vinyl that looks like that too.

Sponsored Links
1) T&G floorboards -look nice, accommodate wonky joists more easily, less likely to creak, easier to access stuff underneath, but inconvenient if you want anything but carpet on top.
2) 22mm Ply -Good coverage, less moisture resistant, but smooth and flat so great for coverings.
3) OSB or chipboard when money is an issue.

Any supplier Link to:
1) T&G floor boards?
2) 22mm Ply
I thought WBP ply will have good moisture resistant. Is that not the case?
Is it possible to get the smooth reflective flooring like floor boards (planed wood?) with Ply? And how?

Then use 22mm ply and put down wood-effect vinyl. It's cheaper than the real thing, softer, quieter, low maintenance, withstands water, is easy to change as fashion dictates, and you won't be tip-toeing around in slippers while praying you don't scratch it.

You can get vinyl that looks like that too.
Linky please.

Any supplier Link to:
1) T&G floor boards?
2) 22mm Ply
Any timber yard or builders merchant will have these.

Is it possible to get the smooth reflective flooring like floor boards (planed wood?) with Ply? And how?
I guess you could use birch-face ply and varnish it. Would be expensive though, and varnishing a large area -cleanly- can be a real pain. And it would wear through after a while, leaving you with dirty rough grey patches (they never mention this is style magazines). Personally I think it would look strange, too, because it would be made up from big rectangular sheets rather than familiar boards.
Vinyl so much easier:
https://www.burts.co.uk/vinyl/wood-plank-effect

Sponsored Links
Thank you for all the answers and links. Vinyl may be more practical than birch ply and softwood floorboards, especially with children's room. A glass of milk, water from colouring projects on the floor is a recurring event in my house. Also there are services under the floor so access will be required and finishing off a good floor every time will be a pain.
Ply/OSB + Vinyl seems to be most practical. Just have to avoid textured vinyl as it is a dirt trap.

22mm ply plus laminate is also what I plan to use to replace old Victorian floorboards in w bedrooms. Joists are about 450mm apart.

The 22mm ply is not a stock item in my local timber merchant, but they say they can easily order it in.

[
. Also there are services under the floor so access will be required and finishing off a good floor every time will be a pain.
Check them now whilst you have the chance, I have recently had a lot of boards up due to an extensive re-wire, but in the 20 years prior to that I doubt I have had more than 3 or 4 boards up.

Do people not like the 2400x600 moisture resistant chip board? I was planning to use that in a loft.

[

Check them now whilst you have the chance, I have recently had a lot of boards up due to an extensive re-wire, but in the 20 years prior to that I doubt I have had more than 3 or 4 boards up.

Yes. I will need to build a step in the room so planning to put all pipes and cables under the step.

Quick question, if I add another 6-12mm ply to existing 18mm subfloor will it have any strengthening effect? The idea is to stain the top ply with a desired wood stain and seal it will polyurathene(3 coats) or tung oil(multiple coats) and avoid installing any other floor covering. Some ply flooring links :
High gloss, low cost
http://www.houzz.com/ideabooks/8216171/list/try-diy-plywood-flooring-for-high-gloss-low-cost
or this(mimics wood)
http://www.picklee.com/2012/12/12/farmhouse-wide-plank-floor-made-from-plywood-diy/
More ply flooring ideas here
http://www.homedit.com/styling-plywood-flooring/

Not really, but if you bang in enough nails it might have an effect

Not really, but if you bang in enough nails it might have an effect
Thanks John! This may be just in my mind.
I have used 18mm WBP exterior grade hardwood ply for flooring (screwed directly to joists) to replace old split floorboards. For some reason I thought I made a mistake I should have used 24mm instead. Is 18mm strong enough?
Here is more information:
The room is 2.6m. Ply sheets are fitted perpendicular to joists. Only one join per sheet which is on top of the joists. Floor covering will be vinyl or laminate.

If you glue then screw the top sheet down it would help, I would have thought 18mm ply would have been fine for a floor as long as you noggin each joint...

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back