Bathroom Ply Subfloor and Tiles

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello all,
Installing a new bathroom on a timber suspended floor, whilst attempting to get the final floor level as low as possible, and very confused about what I can tile on to!
I had imagined I could replace the existing floorboards with 18mm Ply straight onto the joists, and tile directly on to this, but it seems this is not suitable and some suggest having a 10mm back board fixed to the Ply subfloor to provide some movement for the tiles.
If using the backerboard, can I just use OSB instead of Ply and save the money? Is OSB suitable for a bathroom floor?
Any thoughts/advice on this would be very much appreciated!

G

Sponsored Links
Hi God, thanks for the fast response :) - Ill go with your suggestion!

Sponsored Links
I always use a decoupling membrane direct onto floorboards, then tile straight onto it. Never had a problem and done a fair few.

Thanks for that Barnaby - Will have a look into them, seen them used on Skillbuilder videos alot. Could you do that straight on to OSB do you think?

OSB swells at the edges if it gets wet. If u replaced the floorboards with osb u might have to beef up the subfloor with noggins. U would also have to make sure the floor to wall junction was tanked if its in a wet area. OSB and chipboard aren't really appropriate for tiling even with a decoupled. Never really seen the need for expensive backer boards tho.

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back