OSB3 subfloor missing noggins

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have been working to renovate my first home and had to replace an area of joists and floorboards on the ground floor with OSB3 18mm sheets

Since having the kitchen installed I have noticed the floor moves a bit under foot even when screwed down which is worst under the joints between the sheets which are not supported by noggins.

I am going to instal 15mm T&G oak flooring and was thinking if I should add some noggins to the osb sheets where foot traffic is (under units not needed as no one steps there

Would this be required/advisable? Or would the park snapping lengthways over the pan add strength to the floor?

Thanks you

Sponsored Links
A floor shouldn't move, but you don't define how much 'a bit' is.

If you haven't screwed it down yet then that will add stiffness.
If you haven't already insulated under the floor then that would be a good incentive to add noggins.

If you or anyone else wanted to change to a tiled floor in the future, then the floor as it is won't be good enough to tile into.

You say you have unsupported joints.

Support them.

Sponsored Links
18mm is a bit skinny for a floor. If the boards aren't T & G then all joints must be supported. If it's the joists flexing (not unusual) then nogging will help, props midspan will help more.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back