Loft Game Room Project

NJP

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,

First post and new home owner.

In the process of wanting to use the current cold loft space for retro video gaming.

Don't expect to be doing so in dead of winter but certainly either side of it, I'm happy to wrap up in warm clothes but I don't want it so cold I'm seeing my own breath. (Not making a true warm loft).

Worried about condensation and rotting timbers if I get this wrong so need some help with this (especially if using an electronic heater too).

House is 2 bed mid terrance, pitched roof, 70mm rafter depth. Soffits running along the eaves of the entire front and back of the house. Standard waterproof black sarking felt.

I know to leave a 50mm gap between the insulation in the rafters and the felt but if I then seal over the insulation from the inside with superfoil (stapled to the face of the rafters) leaving no gaps there is no ventilation coming in from the soffits and no where for the warm air to escape to (especially with the heat from the computer consoles and an electronic heater) this doesn't sound right to me??

Any help to ensure condensation doesn't build while I can stay moderately warm would be appreciated!

Neil

Sponsored Links
It really depends how much heat you will produce, but fixing 50mm of celotex to the rafters and leaving a small ventilation gap between the floorboards and the celotex should allow some ventilation of the cold air space. The gap needs to be small otherwise the insulation will be pointless. A fan heater will then do the job of heating the space. You could also use plasterboard on top but all this adds weight and you need to be sure your loft can take the load. How old is the house?

As I've said on other posts, its easier and cheaper to build a garden room.

Cheers motorbiking,

House is 1980's, I read that a VCL needs to be completely sealed or it doesn't work at all, but a small gap for an eaves baffle vent to circulate cold air will be ok? I(completely insulated and boarded the floor on 275mm loft legs too).

I also have felt vents on order which I'm assuming will help? Really not planning to generate much heat, just enough to be comfortable, it's only a 10m square area.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back