Insulating studio/workshop roof

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I'm renovating what is actually quite a substantial outbuilding (used to be a bookbinder's studio). It has no insulation yet. The roof is pitched, and I want to fit insulation between the rafters before attaching plasterboard to them. My question is: do I need to leave a ventilation gap between the insulation and the underside of the roof sarking felt? And should I attach a vapour barrier? Are those things necessary in a studio that won't be used every day, so not much build up of condensation, etc (though will be heated occasionally in colder weather)? Thanks!

Sponsored Links
You've posted in the wrong place, which won't help the number of replies.

In short, yes, leave the ventilation gap and keep the vapour barrier. When you're in there you're breathing out water vapour, so you will get it condensing on the roof if you don't have the vapour barrier.

Ah, sorry, thought I'd posted in "Your projects" - I'll investigate and move the post! Thanks. Did wonder why there were no responses!

OK, so ventilation gap and vapour barrier needed. Thank you.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back