Loft hatch sizes

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
A466C05B-80FD-4FDD-BD1F-CA138771ABF5.jpeg 4EB64BE3-0108-4A91-840E-74CBEB99DD06.jpeg 1D118D73-56C5-425A-B937-7D39DB565567.jpeg Hi

Our house is 1981 built. Looking for replacement loft hatch but confused about sizes. Measured and is 22” by 33” (if measured from inside lip)

Have includes photos. Can you please clarify where exactly I should measure from. Also general availability of hatches in these sizes.

Many thanks.

L

Sponsored Links
you just buy the hatch that you can adapt to fit if you cant reduce the size off the hatch kit to fit then you must adapt the opening to fit the kit

Thanks. When you say, you just buy the hatch that you can adapt etc, do you mean just based on nearest size, or ones that can specifically be cut?

Can’t believe ours is unique?

Carpet is v latest Axminster

Sponsored Links
It looks green in the corner, I thought you might of had a leak and gone mouldy.

Andy

Thanks. No leak, just a remnant of ancient history. Are you able to clarify my follow up query?

Why don't you just take out the old frame and fit 50mm x 25mm batten around the frame. Then fit a pull down loft hatch.
You could even make the opening bigger by putting in a new trimmer joist.

Job Done

Andy

Thanks. Not really into carpentry, so preferred to fiddle with hatch rather than opening.

What type of loft hatch do you currently have, and why does it need changing. You could use the screwfix one, but you need to make the loft opening smaller, and the length would shorten okay, but the width would leave a gap around the new edge, as your current hatch opening is about 130mm wider than the screwfix hatch.

You could take off that metal lip, cut come architrave to fit inside the opening, and then cut a piece of board to fit into the opening, and it'd rest on the architrave. But looking at picture 3, I suspect the architrave needs to go on the outside of the loft, projecting into it a bit, and then just as piece of 2x1 to form the internal lip.

Thanks. Think hatch is original one- just metal panel which originally fitted but now some gaps.

House is 1981 but, as usual, same size not available. I guess we’re the only ones living in these houses in 2017:giggle:

Will have a ponder.

Thanks

Take the loft hatch to a timber merchant and ask them to cut you a replacement with an extra 10mm or 20mm bigger. Paint it white, job done

Andy

If it is metal, what is the frame made from and how is there a gap?
Just something like a batten inside the frame might allow a strip of weatherstrip to be fitted

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back