Loft hatch widening

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Afternoon,

Thought I’d use my relaxing afternoon to post a couple of questions that I don’t know the answers to but need help before I progress lol

We currently have a loft hatch that runs in the opposite direction to the joists however I need to make it bigger to get some building materials up there.

As it runs the opposite way to what I expected I didn’t know how many joists I can cut to make it slightly wider however more importantly longer 1 metre x 60 cm would be ideal however I’m not sure if that’s doable ?

The blue square is my current hatch , the red is what I’d like however I’ll need to add some more trainers as at present it’s how they built the house years ago
Thanks
Jake

Sponsored Links
Loft hatch

Attachments

• FB852EC9-8BD4-478D-A962-FB603FFE8300.png
    FB852EC9-8BD4-478D-A962-FB603FFE8300.png
    330.8 KB · Views: 18
You could do.
Where you cut the joist to make the bigger hole you need to frame the two floating ends of the cut joist across to the adjacent joists

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back